Tuesday 16 August 2016

The Awakening

Recycling was never a part of my life.

As a young teacher, I used to cut out pictures or type out students' works and laminate them, much to the disgust and dismay of an environmentally conscious colleague. I didn't know what I did had irked her until I overheard her telling a colleague that 'some teachers' did a lot of laminating and it was 'very bad for the environment'. Come to think of it, she must have said it with a purpose since I was just sitting in front of her cubicle.

Fast forward thirteen years later, the mass media education must have done some good because I am starting to be more conscious of the need to protect the Earth. I begin to collect used plastic bottles from my household use and put them in the blue recycling bin below my block. When I read that food would contaminate the recyclable materials, I wash the containers and bottles clean before putting them in the bin.
 

  

Some of my 'collection'

However, William was not as environmentally conscious. He would throw his empty drink bottles into the trash bin. I had to keep reminding him that he could recycle the bottles. Occasionally, he remembered it and put one empty bottle in the sink.

This morning, I woke up to see this:
 
Bottles were unwashed, but nonetheless some effort towards protecting the Earth I guess.

No comments: