Sunday 31 July 2016

Bye, Carbimazole!

 
Yesterday saw my last dosage of Carbimazole.

It was a 2.5mg pill. Twice a week for four weeks. As it comes in 5mg per pill, I had to cut every pill into half for the 2.5mg prescription. That's why the chopper and the cutting board.

I can finally stop asking "我吃药了没有?" ("Have I taken my medicine?") and feel like a 神经病. You would know what I mean if you had watched Hong Kong movies screened on television in the 80s and 90s. 

I started taking this medicine since March last year, which makes the duration of medication one year and four months. Although hyperthyroidism is not something that is life-threatening like cancer or as troubling as diabetes, high blood pressure, rheumatism or even hypothyroidism, you will understand how liberated I feel if you have been on long-term medication for a specific condition or disease and loathe the need to remember the days you have to take it :)

And the best thing of all, I don't have to get pricked for doing routine blood tests anymore, at least not in the next three to six months before I go for my review! 

No comments: