Tuesday 28 June 2016

Addicted to Aeroplane Chess

 


I was walking past a knick knack shop when I saw the game set. Incidentally, I had been thinking how nice it would be if I could find this and teach this game to Baby for some weeks. Law of attraction at work? 

This game was a much-loved childhood game for me and my siblings and friends. Different sets of players have different house rules for the game but I thought mine was quite similar to this except for some minor differences.

I was hoping that it could interest the girls a little. Surprisingly, it proves to be highly addictive for Coco and Baby. They keep asking for more each time the game ends! 

Coco would rather play this than stick her nose to her phone or iPad. Baby would finish her meal in record time, or do a practice paper quickly just so that she could play the game! 

What is interesting is that each of them has a favourite chess colour. Coco believes that the green pieces are her lucky charms while Baby thinks that yellow is her winning formula!

The game is mysterious on its own in that Baby often gets '6' when she tosses the die, the best number to get in the game because not only does '6' grants your chess pieces released from the home hangar, you get to toss the die another time. Another mystery is that Coco often wins the game even when her chess pieces do not get out of the hangar until much later.

Of course, the greatest mystery is mine. My last chess piece could be the first among the last to reach the home base at the centre, but I could still lose. My piece could be walking up and down the path leading to the home base while the girls' pieces take their own sweet time coming out of the hangars, travel almost one full round to their home base, and win!

The girls really enjoy this game like no other. Hope they turn to real games like this more!

No comments: