Sunday 8 March 2015

Day 3: Tim Ho Wan, Goldfish Market, Flower Market, Yung Kee & Mak's Noodles

Our first stop ...

is no other ...

than ...

Tim Ho Wan

The 'original' shop at Yau Ma Tei had closed permanently. 

I read that Tim Ho Wan had opened 4 other branches in different areas, but not all were Michelin-starred.

4 years ago, the only other branch besides the Yau Ma Tei one was in Sham Shui Po, and it was Michelin-starred.

Naturally, Sham Shui Po was the place to go.

Our number was 104 by the time we reached there

'Crowded' was the word, but we did not feel that it took too long.
The food we devoured

Everything still tasted like what I had eaten 4 years ago.

For novelty's sake, I tried the chee cheong fun with pig's liver.

Oh my goodness! What have I been missing?

Unlike the pig's liver that I have all the time eaten, it was soft and did not have the liver smell at all!

I asked for a second helping!

Every seat was occupied.

By the time we left, a fresh new crowd was waiting at the door.

We headed for the Goldfish Market.
We kept walking till we saw many uncles crowding around packets of fish.

We knew we had reached our destination.
There were indeed many, many different kinds of fish.
It was quite an interesting sight to see such a wide variety of fish.

At the same time, there were pet shops selling cats and puppies.

The animals were so cute anyone would want to take them home.

Some of them looked sad though.

After the Goldfish Market, the next tourist thing to do was to visit the Flower Market.
The flowers were fresh and beautiful.
Six stalks of red roses in a bouquet cost just HKD 50.
Incidentally, a tourist was asking the shopkeeper where the flowers were from. Surprisingly, the shopkeeper replied,"Singapore."

In Singapore, a bouquet of six roses cost about S$50.
When the flowers are exported, the prices become lower!
What an irony.

A stalk of peony cost HKD 60, which was about S$12.
In Singapore, peonies are so rare that when they are available, they are very expensive.

Posing amidst the flowers

Yung Kee, the place I remember with such fondness

I promised William he would taste the best roast goose ever.

It turned out to be a disappointment. 
Not just for him, but for me too.

The meat did not taste as succulent as how I remembered it to be.
Roast pork was sold out and we were offered a full plate of char siew.

We felt that the meal was overpriced and it was not enjoyable at all.

So we went to Jordan and tried the famous wan ton mee at Mak's Wanton Noodles, hoping that it would compensate the previous awful meal.

Another blogger had expressed surprise at the fact that I did not try Mak's Noodles the previous time I was in Hong Kong, so there I was.
A small bowl of noodles indeed

We were not impressed.

I was sure that the Tsim Chai Kee noodles I ate the last time I was in Hong Kong tasted much better.
I could not appreciate Mak's wanton noodles.

A humble shop within.
Good service too. Knowing that we were tourists, they spoke Mandarin to us.

The taste does not appeal to me but I have no doubt that Mak's Noodles has its fans.

No comments: