Sunday 10 August 2014

A Teary National Day

Friday was the day all schools celebrated Singapore's 49th birthday.

Mine did too.

I have never felt special about National Day, but this year, tears welled up in my eyes as I sang 'Home' as the last song sung before the kids were dismissed.

Images of my childhood and friends who converted came to my mind. I thought about what one of those friends said about why he converted,"There's no benefit (being a Malaysian)." The other reason being he felt that Singapore was a land of opportunities compared to Malaysia. He did hold back for a good number of years though. He came to Singapore to work when he was 19. He only became a citizen when he was in his 40s, for the sake of his children. His son was an outstanding pupil in a well-sought after school in Choa Chu Kang and he emerged the top pupil last year. Throughout his primary school years, his teachers had wanted to nominate the child for various awards but they could not since he was not a citizen. One of the teachers actually called the mother and asked why they did not convert. I think he did convert for good reasons.

Why haven't I converted?

I don't know.

I have blogged about why I don't convert, but really, I don't have practical or pragmatic reasons not to convert.

Do I love Singapore? I do. It's where my home is. It's where my heart is. When I was in Paris, I was in love with the beauty of Paris but I missed Singapore. I missed the nice people, the chicken rice, the hot sun. I can't imagine living elsewhere. It's where my memories are.


I was moved when the kids joined in at the chorus of 'Home', when they didn't have the lyrics!

I was a little shocked when the Second Boss was asked to lead in the song. I was doubly shocked when she gladly obliged and sang loudly. I was worried for her that when it came to the chorus, it would still be her singing alone, but it totally surprised me.

What spontaneity!

When you listened and watched these kids sing, you saw their simple and pure pride for the nation. I think we could even say 'love'. The song that they didn't have lyrics for, they sang the loudest, and proudest.

I was not just impressed. I was moved.

I held back my tears.

I didn't know that people do cry on National Day until I saw the posts on Facebook.

No comments: