Wednesday 16 July 2014

Thank God Even Crazy Dreams Come True! (Again!)

This is the first year our beloved Prime Minister imposed the 40-seat reservation for Phases 2B and 2C prior to the launch of Primary 1 Registration Exercise.

As he had made the shocking announcement in August last year, poor folks in Phase 2A2 like us were caught by surprise and could not join the alumni association in time, for the deadline for joining was 30 June every year.

Although I kept telling William that it would be fine, I was worrying big time all the time inside.

My 6 siblings and I were from 7 different schools as we were foreigners when my father registered us for Primary One, although I suspect that it was partly out of ignorance in the later stage that my younger siblings went to different schools as we got our PR status quite early in our schooling stage.

I feel that part of the reason we are constantly so divided and competitive in putting one another down is because we do not have a bond or common ground, which I feel a common alma mater could help. Usually, having siblings in the same school encourages them to be close to each other, and if there is competition, I feel that it is a healthier one compared to competing against each other from different schools. Each of us took pride in our own school. Our own school was the best among the siblings'. Even when one of us did well in a test, the other few would put her down by commenting that her paper was easy. There wasn't a common standard among us. We turn out very differently, and up till today, strifes still exist in some of us.

Although William and his sister dislike each other, they share a common ground. And you can tell that William is (secretly) proud to have a sister who did well in her schools, although he never fails to remind me that he did better than her (by 2 points) in PSLE. He always mentions that his sister was "very hardworking", and never forgets to add that "but I am cleverer".

I feel that his good words about his sister (despite hating her personality) is only possible because they went to the same school. This I-feel fact is supported by the unkind words William has for the secondary school his sister went to. Never has he spoken a word against his own alma mater. He was neutral about his sister's personality when she was in primary school. According to him, she only became a terrible girl after she went to a top girls' school.

So, I was worried that Baby didn't get to go to the school her father and sister went to.

I was worried when I saw that more than 50% of the seats were taken up at Phase 1. And Phase 2A1 saw a never-before huge number of applicants. They probably had got wind of the tweak to P1 registration and had paid themselves up the ladder. By the time it was Phase 2A2, we were left with one of the fewest seats for 2A2 compared to the past few years'.

We were so worried that every day, and night, we would ask this question,"What if she can't get in?"

I would say,"Then just go to the nearest one, below our block."

To William, and I, it didn't make a difference where she went if she didn't go to his alma mater.

But it was stressful, all the more so when it was for sentimental purposes that we wanted her to go there. I don't want Baby to ask me why she could not go to the school her sister and daddy went. The worse thing was, being ever so proud of his alma mater, he always told Baby,"You are going to the best school!"

I could not imagine how disappointed Baby was if she knew she could not go to her daddy's 'best school' although she doesn't really understand the notion of disappointment over not going to a certain school.

So I prayed about it. The Bible states "Ask and you shall receive", so I asked for it, fervently.

The bulk of the non-paying alumni registered on Day 1, including me.

As we left the school compound, I said to Baby,"Let's pray (in place of 'hope') that you can get in."

Baby said with great confidence,"No need to pray! If I am a good girl, I will get in!" (As you guessed it, it's her father's blackmail tactic to get her to be a good girl.)

But William and I were still worried.

We watched the figure with bated breath on Day 2 - 10 seats were left.

At 12pm yesterday, William called up the school to check - 2 had registered in the morning.

At 4.38pm, I called the school.

The guy said,"2A2 no need to ballot. All can get in."

I couldn't believe it. I asked again,"So am I successful?"

He said with a smile,"Yes, all are successful. Happy, right?"

I ran to William and shared the good tidings with him.

He didn't believe me.

He called the school. And the guy said the same thing!

We were happy! We hugged the non-suspecting Baby who didn't understand what the joy was about.

No comments: