Friday 4 October 2013

Day 3: Tower of London

We had planned to visit Tower of London and Tower Bridge on the third day.

Tower of London first as it was reviewed as being 'very crowded, so go in the morning'.
The girls were hungry, so I bought them fish and chips from a fish-and-chips shop just outside Tower of London.
I must say their fish and chips was good. Better than the average and common ones in Singapore.
Tower of London tickets:
Adult ticket for 21.45 pounds
Child ticket for 10.75 pounds
Followed the Beefeater or their guide at the entrance.

However, as the guide was free of charge, there was an unmonitored, large crowd. Easily more than 40 per group. And don't expect these tall and huge Caucasian men to be gentlemen. I could not even see the Beefeater most of the time. Heard a few things about Isaac Newton and the Tower being made up of 20 towers though.

It got boring after a while, so we decided to explore the place on our own.
Coco said that her friend mentioned that the Crown Jewels alone were worth the ticket price. So off we went. That's the tower where the Crown Jewels were.

Crown Jewels refer to the crowns worn by various kings and queens. And like what the name suggests, the crowns are adorned with beautiful jewels.

Very beautiful truly.
Coco wanted me to do something to him to test if he would react to me!
A tower containing armours and weapons.

The display showcased armours for the smallest man and tallest giant in the army

A shield and some swords

Saw some gorgeous jewelled pistols. I would not mind owning them!
Didn't read what this was. Thought it looked like some project made from recycled material!
At the canon and bomb section
Whew! Finally finished viewing a few towers.




We had a break at Apostrophe, an alfresco cafe near the entrance as well as the exit.

We exited from the myriad of towers. This was where we saw Tower Bridge from a distance and decided we would not go. A bit tired already.
Something unpleasant happened at Tower of London - I know, right? What else could not happened?

We got carried away choosing our food. We left our bags at a table, forgetting that at least one of us needed to be around. The police took them away. We had to go to this police station to reclaim our bags.

By then, I was quite fed up with the lousy treatment from the cold and unhelpful Brits. The man at the police station warned me sternly,"Do not leave your belonging unattended. It is a security threat!"

I took over the bags with a straight face and walked out without saying a word.
The ticket station

I had meant to go to Oxford Street to get a Tiffany bracelet for my youngest sister, but Coco was running a temperature.

The sensible Coco asked me to go ahead and find the Tiffany store, but I decided to stop spending more than necessary at London after all the unpleasant incidents that had taken place.

We went back to the hotel so that Coco could rest.

We sat at this Mc Donald's to try to get some wifi, but it didn't work.
All I got was a Caucasian cleaner who hit my shoes several times with her mop and stared at me like my shoes were in her mop's way! The Brits have a lot to learn from their ex-colony, Singapore. When Singaporean cleaners do that accidentally, they apologise with trepidation.

No comments: