Sunday 14 April 2013

The Promised Land

Coco is a huge Harry Potter fan. She read her first Harry Potter book when she was seven. After that, it was no turning-back for her. She devoured the rest of the books and watched every single Harry Potter movie. She would write down all the magic chants and practise them with her cousin while holding a make-believe wand.

Some time this time last year, I made a solemn promise to her, that if she could get 250 and above for her T-score, I would take her to the Harry Potter Studio in London.


She took the opportunity to ask me,"Can we go Paris too?"

I replied,"Yes. I would go bankrupt celebrating if you get 250 and above."

It is not without struggles that I decided on this coming June trip.

Firstly, I have just returned to work after 9 months of no-pay leave. A Europe trip to London and Paris would poke a big hole in my pocket for sure.

The sensible Coco understood this and agreed to postpone the trip, maybe to next June.

But I decided that we should just go this year, because I really have no idea what would happen next year. Besides, we 'hibernate' during December as year end is too cold to travel for me for most countries. I was already freezing when we went to Shanghai during its cold and wet summer. I really just wanted to stay indoors but that would be stupid during travelling.

There are other reasons but in any case, I made up my mind to do it the Nike way.

So I have:

1) booked the hotels (London, Disneyland, Paris)
2) booked the flights
3) booked Eurostar tickets from London to Disneyland

I am left with:

1) booking the Harry Potter tickets
2) booking the Effiel Tower tickets
3) planning the itinerary, especially the one for Paris
4) finding out the route for each place or attraction
5) budgeting for the trip
6) buying travel insurance
7) picking up simple French

I will be taking Baby along too - a mission that is not without a fair share of trepidation.

I am not sure if she could take the long hours of flight, and how robust she is to endure a 5-day trip in Paris after the Disneyland experience.

Read about horrific attempted child-abduction, scams, pick-pocketing and robberies in broad daylight in Paris after I had booked everything. And the French police are as ineffective as, if not more ineffective than, the police in some developing countries. They simply laughed in the tourist's face when an extortion happened right in front of their eyes. Hotel staff told the tourists that there was no need to report to the police since robberies were a common sight. And locals do not trust the police.

I didn't know that Paris has become so unsafe. All I ever heard about Paris was its beauty and charm.

For a petite Asian Chinese woman and two young kids, I can only pray that we would be invisible to the crooks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just went to HP studio during the Nov hols last yr. totally awesome! Do set aside an entire for this day trip. It's v easy to travel there by train. There's two types of train, the fast n slow train. I recommend u to buy at least one set of combo HP tix which includes audio n souvenir book. As for Effiel Tower, do be mentally prepared for a super long elevator queue. When I was there, it was a 2hrs wait! Will be glad to help u in ur planning if u need it. I'm an ex-tch and my boy is sitting for the big exam this yr. stress! -Jasmine

Rain said...

Hi Jasmine,

I certainly have allocated a day for Harry Potter, and I have already bought a combo HP ticket for Coco :)

I read that some people queued for 5 hours at the Eiffel Tower! I was thinking of climbing up the 2nd level, until I read from a friend's facebook that it's equivalent to a 12-storey height! Didn't know that the French are so bad at Maths!

I totally feel you about the big exam! You would feel like a deflated balloon once it's over :)

Oh, and I look forward to becoming an ex-tch too!

Krishna Mawani said...

Dear Rain,

On behalf of the National Library Board (NLB), we would like to invite you to pledge your blog to the Singapore Memory Project as part of efforts to collect memories that are already manifested in existing online channels.

The Singapore Memory Project (SMP) is a national initiative to collect, preserve and provide access to Singapore’s knowledge materials. Spearheaded by NLB, the SMP aims to build a national collection of content in diverse formats (including print, audio and video), to preserve them in digital form, and make them available for discovery and research.

By pledging your blog to SMP, you are affirming that every memory matters. Whether your posts are an account of your daily life, or an expression of your thoughts, the SMP hopes to find a home for your memories so that it can help build towards an understanding of Singapore. You will also receive a badge that you can display on your blog in recognition of your contributions.

Contributors to this blog pledging initiative will be listed on Singapore Memory portal’s blog pledging webpage. All blogs pledged to SMP will archived using NLB’s web harvesting software, in addition to images of each blog’s landing page.

If you are keen to pledge your blog to SMP, simply fill up our response form at this following URL: http://singaporememory.simulation.com.sg/Public/Pledge.

You may find out more about this initiative at http://www.iremember.sg/?page_id=2822.

We are looking forward to your contribution.

|Simulation Software & Technology (S2T) Pte Ltd 583 Orchard Road #14-02 Forum The Shopping Mall S(238884) w: www.simulation.com.sg