Friday 29 March 2013

The incompetent TV guy

I had wanted to blog about the TV-setup guy the first day he brought the TV in.

In a nutshell, he was incompetent and lost his temper at me.

It started with him not being able to hook up the TV and the home entertainment system and my existing LG DVD player after more than half an hour. When I explained to him nicely that I had contacted the salesperson in charge and he would send another man down, and that I was not going to sign the invoice until the next guy from Harvey Norman fix it for me, he lost his temper and walked to my platform, refusing to speak to me.


Then he dashed out of the house with his partner and left in a huff.

Some ridiculous things he told me during his futile attempts at hooking up the TV and the devices:

1) LG DVD players cannot connect to Sony TVs.

2) Old DVD players cannot connect to new TVs.

3) Sound cannot emit from the home entertainment system when you switch the TV on. If you switch the TV on, sound will come from TV. If you play DVDs with the blu-ray player, then sound can come from the home entertainment system.

4) You can ask the Sony people to come down and teach you how to use the Sony TV.

I told the salesperson about my experience with this guy and he urged me to write in to complain about him as they 'cannot do anything about it unless customers write in to complain'. Apparently, I am not the first customer to complain about him.

I am not sure if I should add to the list of disgruntled customers. If I do that, will I be the catalyst that hastens his termination?

He reminded me of a boy I used to teach at lower primary, whose ambition was to be a gangster. Teachers and the school counsellor termed him as 'the boy with no moral'. It sounds harsh and unfeeling especially when these people are supposed to be the architects of human souls, but until you teach that boy, you should reserve your judgment and comments.

Such boys don't study, don't give a shit to teachers and school and are more interested in girls with big breasts and sex even when they are in primary school. They might make it to Normal (Technical) stream at secondary schools, and eventually end up at ITE. They continue to make life a living hell for teachers until they pass out from ITE. They make ignorant girls pregnant and start looking for a job. If they really do look hard for a job, reality would dawn upon them that ITE graduates do not command very high salary.

When they finally found a job, they get bitter and angry that their pay is not high, despite working hard (compared to when they went to school) by their definition.

And they are not competent in what they do, like the TV guy. When they can't do their job, they cook up convenient lies like how they did when they were in school. They had thought that they could get away easily with a simple lie when they didn't bring their books, didn't do homework, late for class, skip classes, stole money, fought with classmates or schoolmates ...

They thought that teachers are fools who believe them blindly.

And they thought that the adult world is just like that - full of fools who let them get away with what they do.

They don't realise that the society is very unforgiving towards incompetence and laziness.

By the time they do, it is all too late.

By then, they would probably have a few kids. And their kids stay home and play instead of going to school because they don't have money to send their kids to school.

And they create another set of problems for teachers.

Retribution time.

I think about whether I should let the matter rest, or whether I should have my game now as a customer. Yeah, when you have been tormented ceaselessly by someone, it's hard not to think that revenge is sweet. I know he is not the boy/s who tortured me, but he must have given his teachers a hard time when he was in school.

No comments: