Monday 30 July 2012

Misconceptions about PR

I always get quite upset when people say that PRs (Permanent Residents), or rather, PRs' privileges, are indistinguishable from a citizen's.

The only reason they are indistinguishable is really because the citizens who say so are simply too lazy to find out what the differences are, and have been living under a rock for too long.

To be honest, I have been a PR for so long that I am not too sure what my privileges are. I only know what I am not entitled to, cannot do or have:

1) PRs MUST serve NS (National Service)

I know that for sure because my brother was called up to do his. At some point, I happened to know that it is the 'second-generation' PRs who need to serve NS. My father is the 'first-generation' PR, so he was exempted from serving NS. In any case, NS was probably not made compulsory for anyone during my father's time.

2) PRs do not have voting rights

We don't vote during the General Elections simply because we are not citizens.

3) PRs do not have priority during P1 registration

At least in the 1980s, PRs were treated as foreigners. All 6 of us went to different primary schools because the schools ran out of places at the last phase and my father had to search far and wide for schools so that we could get an education. Our uniforms and textbooks were different. None of us could hand anything down to our siblings.

4) PRs do not get GST rebates or any form of monetary rebates

While the citizens taste the sweetness of getting monetary rebates of different forms from the government, PRs get nothing.

5) PRs can't buy a new flat

PRs can only buy resale flats, unless they marry a citizen. And flats are the reasons why two of my siblings have already switched to being citizens, and my brother would probably be the third in line to do so for the sake of a cheaper, government-subsidised flat.

6) PRs pay private patient charges when they give birth

I know that because I visited my mother at Koo's Clinic when she gave birth to my brother. My father said it was because they would be treated as private patients at KK Hospital anyway.

For something nearer to modern days, my sister gave birth 11 years ago and she didn't go KK for the same reason.

7) PRs have to renew their PRship every five years

Yeah, it is not a one-time thing. We renew our PRship every five years, subject to approval. In short, we need to prove our worth to retain our PRship. And believe me when I say I only realised that after my poor 'A' level results. Suddenly, it dawned upon me that my PRship was at stake. I only quite felt secure after I became a teacher.

8) Last but not all, PRs ARE NOT citizens

Surprisingly, quite a few people I spoke to on different occasions told me that I am, or considered as, Singaporean, because 'PR means Singaporean'. I felt like giving them a spank on the head, but I always suppressed that urge and patiently explained to them that the term 'PR' means 'Permanent Resident' and it means I am still a Malaysian by citizenship. And Singapore and Malaysia do not allow dual citizenship, so I am not a Singaporean.


The list is not exhaustive. I am sure there are grounds I have not covered, but I hope I have addressed at least a few common misconceptions about PRs.

It is my wish that Singaporeans get themselves educated on the PRs' (nil) entitlements and whatnot and stop saying that PRs enjoy all the benefits as citizens do but 'don't have to serve NS'. It only tells me how ignorant they are.

No comments: