Sunday 8 April 2012

Sourcing for the Right Person

I had emailed quite a number of contractors and interior designers my enquiry on my study's carpentry last December and January.

Some were simply not interested due to the small-scale job and thus nil response, others replied me with an estimated quotation ranging from $3,500 to $8,000.

I met up with the one who quoted me the lowest and fastest, and trudged on to source for more contractors via renotalk forum.

A surface review of those I met up:

1) Sky from Basic Image Interior
He was the first to come down my place to take measurement and promised to give me a quotation within one week.
He disappeared without quoting. Probably forgot.
I didn't bother to chase after him.
If he can forget about my business, I'd better forget about him.

2) Steven from Vencia
Steven's response was the first to come in after I sent out enquiries.
The initial estimated quotation was about $3,500 which I thought was cheap.
Met up with two young and polite chaps, including Steven, at my place.
They provide 3D drawings even before you sign up with them.
The first set of drawings was a disappointment though even though I have told them the measurement and how I had envisioned the place to be.
I emailed them exactly what I wanted and their designers followed what was emailed.

Unfortunately, the final quotation came up to $6142 after some negotiation.

3) Eric from Biz Interior
He didn't smile throughout the measurement-taking, and was the first one to tell me the exact measurements of what I wanted may not be practical, an advice that reminded me of what my father had told me about what I wanted.

He sat there and started drawing up a 3D representation of the study, detailing the air-con trunking.

He seemed to know his stuff well, able to forsee the limitations and told me where the length of the drawers would extend to.

His quote: $5800.

4) Jimmy
A contractor I got off renotalk forum without knowing which company he is working for.
A young Malaysian guy who seemed to be nice and straight-forward.
He tried to match some of the items that I was quoted lower for.
But his door is on the high side ($1,200).

His quote: $5540.

5) ID Note
Got the contact off renotalk forum.
A friendly and nice uncle.
He quoted on the spot: $5330

6) Ah Hoi
Also from renotalk under a 'carpenter' thread.
He stayed at my place for close to two hours, detailing the measurements and drawings, and discussing with me the colours and laminates.

His quote: $4350

7) Mr Lee
A contact given to me by a colleague who did up his Design & Build flat for just $10k, without flooring.
Didn't get back to me after saying would contact me a couple of days later.

8) Siong Yee Renovation
A man by the name 'Ah Chai' came down to take measurements and gave me true-to-size quotation and told me how and what could be done for the limitations I mentioned.

His quote: $5630


Price is a concern to me. Of course, after the contractor nightmare I had six years ago, I don't want someone who just charges cheaply and can't deliver either.

Ah Hoi seemed honest and appeared to know what he was doing. He was also able to advise me on whether things to be done were feasible or aesthetical. And he was the cheapest. So I gave him a ring recently, 3 months after I first met him.

I took so long because I was worried that he might not have the laminate that I was looking for. I had flipped through the samples he brought down and didn't see The One I had in mind. On top of that, he didn't quote me the door initially. Then I thought, what the heck, my priority is the study furniture!

He came down on Thursday and we spoke for an hour plus to firm up the structures and layout of the cabinets and study table before I rushed off to pick up Baby.

He came down again on Saturday for 2 hour plus to confirm the design, the laminates, the dimensions of the furniture.

At the end of the discussion, he told me he would requote me as material prices and factory rental have increased after Chinese New Year!

I had also enquired about the cost to do up a feature wall for my bomb shelter and he had suggested to customise a shoe cabinet.

I told him we will talk about them after I look at the workmanship of the study furniture.

So I hope that on account of getting more business from me, he could give me a quote similar or even identical to what he had first quoted me.

These are what I have drawn up. I drew up quite a few as Ah Hoi kept making notes on my original drawings and taking them with him. These are the final version of what we discussed:

 Book cabinet

 Study table with top cabinet

Settee with storage

Let's hope they materialise.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I came across your blog while looking for a carpenter. Nice study room you got there. May I have your carpenter ah hoi's contacts? Thanks! Mel.

Rain said...

Hi Mel,

Gimme your email address :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Will be grateful if you could share Ah Hoi's contact details please. My email is behhs05a@yahoo.com.sg Thanks / Hui Shiang

Anonymous said...

Hi, its great I chanced upon your blog. I have a similar headache - a miniscule budget.

Could you kindly share Ah Hoi's contact with me pls? lynnwong.604@gmail.com

Thanks v much!
Lynn

CH said...

Hi hi can I have Ah Hoi's contacts as well?

My email chewhooi@gmail.com

Many thanks!\

Chewy said...

Hi hi,

Can I have Ah Hoi's contacts as well?

Many thanks!

Chewy

Rain said...

Hi all,

I've emailed you his contact.

Hope it's not too late!

Anonymous said...

hi can also sure ah hoi contact with me
my email gohkoktiong @ yahoo.com.sg

Anonymous said...

hi could you email ah hoi's contact to onoliza@gmail.com? Am having a headache with getting small scale renovation done.. TIA!

Unknown said...

Hi, Will be grateful if you could share Ah Hoi's contact details please. My email is lynnzlq@hotmail.com

Thank, lynn

Sheryl said...

Hi Rain,
Pls share with me your carpenter contact. Im getting the keys soon but havent found a contractor/ ID yet. My email addy is sheryl.y.teo@gmail.com. Thanks!

Cheers
Sheryl

Rain said...

Hi all,

As stated in a follow-up blog post, I will not be sharing my carpenter's contact anymore as he has told me he has 'too many customers', such that he can't cope and has given the extra businesses to friends, and sometimes, he has to bear the brunt of recommending the 'wrong' person for the jobs.

I do not take the credit for his 'too many customers' though, as I don't think my blog is so powerful lah.

Hope you can understand.