Sunday 22 January 2012

Do Something You Have Never Done

You know the line:

'Do something every day that you have never done'?

I did something I have never done in my life on Friday:

I took part in a logo design contest by the ministry.

The contest details were out since last November. I didn't give any thought to it till late December.

I told myself I would give it a shot since there was cash prizes involved, meagre as they were ie. $300, $200 and $100  for the top to third prizes respectively. The most attractive part was that they would inform your school about it. I think the glory that comes with it is more appealing than the cash itself.

The loser within me tells myself: I won't win anyway, so why do it lah?

The Ah Q in me says: but maybe there aren't many people doing it, you know?

I recalled having to design a logo for a music school, ABC, as an art assignment during Sec Three. I didn't put too much effort into it. I just drew what I thought on the spot, painted it, and handed it in. The very next day, while I was on the bus home from school, I saw a secondary school girl wearing a collar pin almost exactly like how I had designed the logo, just that the name of the school or band was different!

So Ah Q won.

I had wanted to do it since Monday, but the week had been a long one. We had to stay back till 5 or 5.30pm every day. I caught a flu bug this week too. By the time I got home, I was so tired the first thing I went to was the bed. So Friday, the deadline, was the only day I got around to do it.

I searched for some related images for inspiration in the morning.

In the evening, at about 7 plus, I started drafting.

By ten, I was painting.

I was a little nervous though. I had to submit the artwork and the explanation of the logo by 12 am.

After touching up and typing furiously and nervously on the computer, I clicked the 'Sent' button.

11.36 pm.

It feels good knowing you have done something you have never tried in your life. And it wasn't a slipshod kind of thing. I did put in effort to do what I wanted.

The feeling is very ... ... Shiok!

No comments: