Monday 2 January 2012

Baby Goes to School

Baby is going to school tomorrow.

How ironical that I am feeling as if I am sending her off to a sacrifice when I am an educator myself.

Could it be because I know the going-ons behind that facade of education? Or is it the fact that I have contributed to the facade that I am filled with unease now?

I had hoped to place her in Coco's kindergarten. I had good vibes about the education and teachers there. It was like what I had when I was young. The gospel songs taught were original and edifying, refreshing. But because of logistic reasons, I am not able to.

The next best alternative would be this kindy - for logistic purpose as well. My nephew goes there too. But somehow I am filled with anxiety and a little of worries. Perhaps it has to do with the fact too that Baby is actually still 3 years old, not 4 as N2 kids are, since she is an October baby.

Coco worries too. She worries that the teachers might not understand Baby's language. William and I worry that she might get bullied.

I don't remember feeling the same way about Coco when she first went to school.

Oh well, whether I worry or not, Baby is going to school tomorrow.

Enjoy school, Baby!

You have been looking forward to school.
Every day, you tell us that your 'teacher' gives you this and that.
You envy your cousin for being able to talk about his teacher.
Tomorrow, you will get to have your own teacher.
In your blue-checked, oversized uniform,
Carrying your cute, furry, velvety-to-the-touch Hello Kitty bag,
You will go to school.
Handheld by your father,
Ponytails tied by your grandmother,
You will go to school.
Keep that smile on, Baby,
School is a place you will miss when you leave it.
Make lots of friends,
And come home to tell me about your 'teacher'.

No comments: