Sunday 4 December 2011

A Rolling Vintage Time

On the last day of workweek ('workweek' refers to the week after school closes for the holidays, with the teachers returning to school for meetings and workshops), we had a blast having our staff dinner themed 'Old Hollywood Glamour'.

At first, I did not even know that a theme existed. It was not until a week or so before the Dinner was to be that I realised that it was themed with a vintage glam.

For some reason, I was worried I might look too out of place with a modern dress, and so my search for inspiration started. I started asking around on what my colleagues would be wearing. Most of them already had some existing dresses in mind, nevermind if they were not 1950s. The last one told me that she thought it was the makeup and accessories that mattered, not the dress.

A few colleagues thought Audrey Hepburn style would fit me, so I went googling 'Audrey Hepburn' and 'old hollywood glamour'.
I bought a pearl set since she was big on pearls - necklace and earrings

I tried looking for boat-neck tops and dresses but to no avail.
M'phosis does have some black boat-neck tops though, but I did not think they could fit my poofy skirt.
I enquired at a salon on this updo. It cost a whopping $45 for a few hours' dinner. No thanks!
Hepburn was a fan of long, black gloves so I bought a pair of black gloves for that vintage feel.
Worse comes to worse, I would settle for a bun
I was quite set on utilising that tulle skirt I made for my wedding some years ago, so I googled 'poofy skirt+old hollywood'
I tried to look for a fitting, satin top with no success.
I settled for a black, ruffled/laced top instead.
And the makeup
I bought a pair of false eyelashes, glue and liquid eyeliner from Sasa, but realised that it was a tall order to stick them on. I gave up.
I tried on orangey or red-popping colours on my lips and I was too put-off to buy them.
The theme
Instant photography with grey backdrop
The room
Oldie chocolates
The salad spread
What I wore to snag me the Best Dressed Award. Not The Best, but good enough to make the judges think I looked Audrey Hepburn.

The award
Am thrilled to get a lucky draw prize too!

If you know me, you would know I am such an unlucky person my name never get to be called out in a lucky draw. Okay lah - it was strategised: we were asked to write our names on a coloured ice-cream stick each. I quickly realised that it was meant for the lucky draw, so I picked blue since it was my favourite colour and I had a quick glance at the glass bowl - blue ice-cream sticks were the least in the bowl. I figured the drawer would be more likely to pick blue since it would stand out like a rose among the thorns. A little bit of human psychology there :)

In case anyone is interested, I bought the following at these places:

Pearl earrings and necklace - Accessorize (Raffles City Shopping Centre) - so cheap I can't recall, should be less than $20. 
Long synthetic black gloves - an accessories shop at Basement of Far East Plaza $15.80
Black ruffled/laced top - Robinsons (Raffles City Shopping Centre) $89

It was the shortest shopping trip I ever made for an event, yet it clinched so much wonder and enjoyment.

No comments: