Saturday 5 November 2011

Boon Tong Kee Chicken Rice 文东记(Ang Mo Kio Branch)

Last week, we - or rather, I - wanted to eat Mellben crabs.

When we reached Mellben, we were horrified to see a long queue that would probably remain status quo for a long time. We were hungry and decided to walk over to the opposite block to Boon Tong Kee.

We didn't know what Boon Tong Kee was about. The signboard was huge and neon-lighted. Very eye-catching and was shouting at us to enter.

I did a quick googling on my iPhone to find out that it was famous for its chicken rice.

It was a restaurant under the void deck - similar to Mellben.


 We ordered Steamed Grouper Fillet with black fungus ($20)
Tasted fresh and tender.
Even the black fungus was tender and not chewy or hard like what I have tasted in some desserts
 The chicken rice was good, tasted like how good chicken rice should - slightly fragrant and not oily at all!
 The chicken did not let us down. Tender, juicy, not oily, tasty - yum!

I am a chicken rice-lover - I could have the same chicken rice on a daily basis if it tastes good to me. And I certainly would return for Boon Tong Kee if Mellben's queue is ridiculous again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

boon tong kee has been around for years :P quite surprised you didnt know..

Rain said...

For the sake of nice-sounding, let's just say I'm a sua-ku in my own right :) Boon Tong Kee is not the only thing I didn't know or hear about.