Sunday 4 September 2011

Follow-up: Ericsson Telecommunications Sam Media Services

As an update to the Ericsson Telecommunications Services scam, I recently received a VERY long email from IDA, after I emailed them about ETS on 4 July.

Taking almost 2 months to reply an email doesn't seem very efficient to me. I wasn't expecting a fantastic reply. And I was not too far from my guess. Bascially, it explains how Coco activated the $6-per-sms 'value-added service' (which I don't even care) and that ETS had cancelled my unbilled charges of $30 (which I already know) as well as educating me on how I could have prevented the same incident from happening again (which I had considered before giving her an iPhone, duh).

The reply:

Dear Ms X

We refer to your email feedback. We apologise for the late reply as we needed time to look into your case.

We have checked with the service provider in question. This service is actually provided by Sam Media Pte Ltd (“Sam Media”). The service mentioned in your email is a premium rate service (“PRS”). PRSes are value-added services provided over the public telecommunications network, and can include quizzes, ringtones and games. While IDA does not prohibit operators from offering PRSes to the public, we do require PRS providers, like Sam Media, to comply with a PRS Code in order to ensure that consumers’ interests are protected. The PRS Code imposes certain obligations on PRS providers such as the requirement for PRS providers not to charge consumers for unsolicited services, to provide clear and complete information to consumers, and to allow consumers to unsubscribe from their PRSes. IDA views these requirements very seriously and should we find any PRS provider in breach of the PRS Code, IDA will not hesitate to intervene accordingly. If you would like more information on our PRS Code, you may wish to refer to the following link on the IDA website: http://www.ida.gov.sg/Policies%20and%20Regulation/20070508145556.aspx.

In your case, the PRS provided by Sam Media was for a mobile java game download service. Sam Media informed IDA that in order to subscribe for the service, an end-user would have to enter his mobile number on the web advertisement (http://ad.mozzi.biz/index.php?data=SG_AA1_V1.swf&adscode=sg_aa1_sem_tlv&affid=TLV&sem=Y&type=NM) and agree to the terms and conditions “Yes, I am at least 18 years old and agree to the T&C. I understand I will receive 2sms/wk at $6 each till quit Sam Media would then send an SMS to the end user with instructions for the end-user to send an SMS with the keyword “AA1” to Sam Media’s short code number 77877 to confirm his subscription of the service. Only upon receiving the end-user’s SMS with the keyword “AA1”, would Sam Media then send a confirmation SMS to indicate the end-users’ weekly subscription of the service, followed by a WAP push link to the end-user. The service is chargeable at $6 per SMS sent by Sam Media; 2 SMS will be sent per week. The service is a subscription service and will be provided on an ongoing basis until the subscriber un-subscribes from the service.

We have reviewed Sam Media’s web advertisement and we found that Sam Media had indicated clearly the charges, terms and conditions and the frequency of receiving the SMSes. Sam Media had also provided a local customer service hotline (68808590) for customers to call if they need more information on the service. We have also reviewed Sam Media’s SMS logs and we note that an SMS with the relevant “AA1” keyword was sent by mobile number 65XXXXXXXX (Coco's number) to Sam Media’s short code on 27 May 2011. The PRS has since been cancelled and mobile number 65XXXXXXXX (Coco's number) blocked from accessing Sam Media’s services in future. Regarding the charges, Sam Media has reviewed your case and is agreeable to providing a full waiver for the $30 incurred. The refund would be reflected in your mobile service bill.

Regarding your query below, IDA has imposed requirements on PRS providers to ensure that they put in measures to require end users to take multiple steps to subscribe for a service, to avoid accidental subscriptions. For cases where children are the users of mobile phones, we would normally advise parents to educate their children on the need to understand the prices, terms and conditions of the mobile service before sending in any request or confirmation for service purchase. We have also advised parents to consider using pre-paid mobile service for their children instead, in order to afford great control over their children’s usage of mobile phone services.

To further protect consumers, we have also recently introduced new consumer protection measures in the area of PRS, where we have required mobile operators to introduce a PRS barring service that users can opt-in to, so that they can neither subscribe nor receive any chargeable PRS, and more importantly not be billed for them moving forward. We expect the mobile operators to offer this service by the first quarter of 2012. We have also stepped up the penalty framework to target errant PRS providers, whereby they will face heavier financial penalties with repeat offenders having their licenses suspended or cancelled. We are also in the midst of reviewing the PRS Code following feedback from consumers. Taken together, we hope that these measures can further protect consumers.

We hope the above clarifies. Thank you for your feedback.

Best Regards
Kimmi Goh (Ms)
Executive
Corporate Helpdesk
Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA)
Tel: 6211 0888
F: 6211 2222
E: info@ida.gov.sg
W: http://www.ida.gov.sg/


As for M1, I had scrutinised my phone bills for June through August to check if they had honoured their promises of waiving the charges that were billed.

I noticed that there was a waiver of $21 and $24 for the months of June and July respectively, but I was expecting another $21 waiver for the month of June.

Being a number- and techno-phobic, I decided to cut my pain short and call up M1 again to ask if they had waived the charges. The reply was that the last customer service agent had 'overlooked' the waiver and they would do it in the next bill.

So, the waiver IS possible. If I had been a lamb quietly led to the slaughter, I would have ended up paying $90 ($21+$21+$24+$30) for a so-called value-added service!

Moral of the story? The world is a kinder place if you are aggressive enough (reads: difficult).

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really ridiculous, esp. of the kids is using the phone. How on earth will the kids will understand. I just got the bills for my 12 yr old son for August for 16 access to this service (they sent 16 sms & charged u $2/each) & this month for 28 access ($56/-). On other pre-paid M1 top-up card, I just top up for $28/- & suddenly, everyday, i rcvd the 77877 sms & they cut off $2/- everday. wats up, this is really a highway robbery during daylight. ;(

Rain said...

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but if your son is not on pre-paid card, do write in to M1. Calling them up is not as effective.

Yeah, it is ridiculous, but IDA makes it sound like the 'deal' is reasonable - as if kids are as discernible as adults.

Chris said...

Dear Mdm

I am Chris and my daughter has also recently falled into the same "trap" and in this case 48 + 42 (next bill) has been charged on my M1 bill. I like to have a chat with you to understand on the background as I am prepared to escalate the matter to the press so that others can be warned on what in my as unethical business practices. Please could you send me an email to faithlcy@yahoo.com.sg so that I can contact you.

Rain said...

Hi Chris,

What I did was to write in to M1 to express my utter disappointment and aghast that they did such a horrible thing to me after I switched to their service and request that they waive the charges.

After I received their reply on waiving a portion of the amount, I called up to demand that the other half was waived. I literally demanded,"No. I want the full amount to be waived."

I do believe that The Straits Times had reported the matter recently and apparently, Ericsson Telco was actually the parent company of this Sam Media. They had been fined $100k I think for billing unsubscribed services on different occasions.

I am not optimistic that the police would launch an investigation into the matter since it is not illegal as "explained" by IDA.

Chris said...

Thanks Rain this is helpful i have also written to IDA and M 1. I am also pressing for a full refund more importantly the Authorities must seriously look into this malpractice in the system (for lack of a better description)

Rain said...

Chris,

Glad I can be of help. I hope you get your refund soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi, the same incident happened to me. Can i know what reasons u provided for the additional amount to be waived?

Rain said...

Hi Anonymous,

When I called them (M1 and Sam Media), I said that my kid was underaged, but it didn't matter. They said the conditions were listed already.

I wrote in to M1 as mentioned earlier in one of the above comments.

When they waived only the unbilled amount, I called up and literally demanded that I wanted the full amount - billed or not billed - to be waived.

They agreed quite readily after the write-in, although subsequently, I still had to hound after them to waive the amount again.

nerosink said...

Help ! Recently i have been billed twice for receiving 50+ SMSes ! May i know if it is possible to get a refund ?

i find the SMS so misleading ! Eg the SMS "U got 0 win iPhone.Which product contains caffeine? A. apple juice B.coffee Sms SALE A or SALE B to 77877 . $2 chrg"

i thought the $2 charge only applies after replying to the SMS !

Anyone help ?

Rain said...

Hi nerosink,

Try emailing your service provider ie. Telco and ask them for a waiver? Let them know how disappointed you are with the 'service' they have provided and request for a waiver. Hope it helps.

Flor said...

Hello,

My younger brother whom is only 10 years old has fallen into this trap as well. The phone line is under starhub. May I have your advise on whom and how should I approach to solve this matter? I don't want to pay even a single cent because this thing is really unfair. Hope to hear from you soon

Florence

Rain said...

Hi Florence,

Do what I did - call Starhub, explain the situation to them, ask them to waive the charges and see what they say. If they refuse or are only willing to waive half, email them about it and let them know how disappointed and horrified you are at the atrocious service they are providing - by slapping exorbitant charges on you over useless smses. Wait for their reply after that.

It shouldn't be their first time receiving calls and emails like yours since so many people have experienced this nonsense.

Hope it helps.

nerosink said...

Yes i tried to Sam Media but no one responded , i called back M1 and they helped me to get refund

Rain said...

nerosink,

Wow, that's great! Hope the rest get their refund too!

Flor said...

Hi Rain,

Thank you so much for your response and advise! Yes I just called up starhub awhile ago and they said they'll get their billing counterparts to contact me =/ But before this, Sam Media contacted me and said according to their records, the transaction with them is valid, no matter if the user is underage or not so they can't give me a waiver...

Hopefully, starhub can do something about it and fights for a waiver for me.

@nerosink: nice! hopefully starhub can be like m1 too, standing at the customer's side

-flor

ru said...

I am going to make police report if the Ericsson telecommunications Sam Media don't wave the amount.i am so angry after i received the singtel bill. i did call singtel yet they say that they can not wave off for me and the customer serivce call me to call the Ericsson telecommunications Sam Media to stop immediately.Will they wave off the amount for me?

Rain said...

Hi Flor,

I figure Sam Media says the same thing to everybody who wants them to waive the charges. If they waive charges the moment you call, I think they wouldn't be able to earn anything from unsuspecting users.

Do update me if Starhub helps you out ya? I've half the mind to switch to Starhub when my plan is up.

Rain said...

Hi Ru,

Sam Media will not accede to your request. Your telco is the only one who can do that, either by talking to Sam Media on your behalf or absorbing the cost.

Write in to Singtel instead. It's more formal so they might respond to it more positively.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rain,

I'm one of the victims to this stupid sms service by Sam Media! I was caught in surprise when my bill came & I wasn't sure how to proceed, except to call the Sam Media but it was all machine-operator. Then I searched online & found your blog & comments about this case! I heed your advice and called Singtel to waive off for this uncalled charges. They say they will & will reflect it in my next mth bill (except for the very first sms I had response)!

Btw, they did suggest to prevent this type of sms to happen again, we can apply "Premium Rate Service (PRS) Barring Service" to block it. (can be searched under Singtel website)

I have just activated and I hope it helps.

Manys thanks again!

Rain said...

Hi Anonymous,

I'm glad my blog has been of help to you! Thanks for sharing about the PRS. I'd re-read the letter from IDA and realised that they did mentioned about it after all. Perhaps it's not as convincing as when it's from another user's mouth and that's why I never paid attention to it until you mentioned it!

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I was charged a total of $92. And they actually charged me $2 every Single day from 10jan-28feb
I actually ring up singtel right after u got my 1st bill and tell them about this
Problem and told them that i am not gonna pay a single cent for it. all I got for reply is "you have to call them yourself. I can't help you to waive it off"
$50 from the 1st bill and $42 from the 2nd bill which I m very unwilling to pay at all. Called up the Ericsson Sam media n there's this lady who pick up the calls and after talking So much she's still insist of not waving off.
I need your help badly... :(
Hope to hear from you soon and Thanks in advance :)

Rain said...

Hi Anonymous,

Do what the rest of us did: email Singtel. It serves as a formal request and I guess it could reach the 'more important' people than a customer service personnel.

Anonymous said...

Hi thanks for the reply. I have called Singtel again telling them about the problem and they say that I am
Not the only one calling regarding this matter n they help me sending in a letter to appeal for the wave off

Rain said...

Hi Anonymous,

Wow, that's great! I guess the number of affected users is growing so they are more willing to do the waiver even through a call!

Anonymous said...

This is very ridiculous. I'm the latest victim in such a scam. I called up Singtel and they Straightaway waived the charges for me. I called up ids and spoke to Kimmie Goh who told me I'm speaking to the wrong person. I've got a gd mind to go to the police and filed an official complaint against sam media and Singtel. How could they let unauthorised pple/company send random smses to me Hp and subsequently made me incur the charges. If I had not paid closer attention, I wouldn't even know I had these additional charges, esp since I pay by giro. N it's been 6 months since the author of this blog report this unfortunate incident to Ida. Yet what was done ? Nothing... And ms Kimmie Goh advised me to write in officially so I can get official reply. If I am someone who doesn't know how to type in English, how to call Singtel to complain, then what can I do? Unsubscribe from Sam media (when I didn't even subscribe to it in the first place), then pay whatever bills I had incur so far and pray n hope that I won't incur any more bills? Singtel also upsets me because the first customer service officer I spoke to actually asked me to call Sam media itself and of cos I got directed to voice
answering machine. I am very disappointed in Singtel for failing to safeguard my interest from such frauds

Anonymous said...

No offense, but there are strict regulations regarding these providers. The advertisement clearly had these Terms and Conditions which you/your child agreed too.

I do not see why the education of your child should be the responsibility of the telcos/content providers. Alas, such is the case of an overinflated sense of entitlement.

Rain said...

Hi Anonymous the Last,

I doubt you have children of your own, because if you do, you would probably understand how we feel when a child's naivety or ignorance is exploited just because 'the child has read and agreed to the terms and conditions' of the service provider.

Do children really understand what they are 'agreeing' to when they click that 'I agree' button?

Unknown said...

I am also a victim of this, please see how i handled this.

sammediacheating.blogspot.com