Monday 18 July 2011

Da Dong Roast Duck Restaurant 大董烤鸭店, Wangfujing 王府井美食街

We took a cab from our hotel to Da Dong Roast Duck Restaurant (大董烤鸭店)at Dong Si Shi Tiao (东四十条).

I had read that it served one of the best roast duck in Beijing.

It was sort of a little shock to me to see that it was an upscale restaurant. Like many restaurants, Da Dong does not allow bookings to be made after 6.30pm, so we were there, waiting to be given a table.

My father was upset. He has always been against fine dining as it translates to costly meals. The waiting made him madder.

It was later after we returned to the hotel that my father told me: Coco told him,"Gong Gong, please don't be upset. Mummy is filial to you. She will be very sad if you are upset."



The dining area and the kitchen was separated by a piece of see-through glass

They show you how their ducks are roasted in the very traditional way
Their unique chopstick rest
RMB 8 per tray of condiments

The buns that go with the duck
Half of a roast duck

Touted as a 'healthy' choice, I was disappointed that the taste did not live up to its reputation. Or perhaps I had unrealistic expectations of the duck since it was supposed to be one of the best in Beijing. It was okay, but I would not say that it was the best duck I have ever eaten - Coco did, though.
Spiky sea cucumber

The most expensive item for the night. But portion was quite little. 4 mouthfuls and it was gone.
Black pepper steak for one person

My oh my! It was just enough for 4 miserable mouthfuls. Small wonder why the waitresses were shocked when I placed order for the steak for one person.
Prawn with salad cream

Not impressive either.
Complimentary almond jelly with chocolate ice-cream

It was sprinkled with a dash of powder that tasted spicy.

Complimentary ice-cream
Sugar coated apples (拔丝苹果)

I'd say it again, the person who recommended this ought to be shot. The apples were hard with sugar coating. Not nice. Please don't ever try it. I have no idea why someone would think it is a 'must-try'.
Complimentary lychee, sweet and juicy
The dinner cost more than RMB 683 (S$136). I would say the ambience was superior to its food. The presentation of the food was artistic and thoughtful though.
The night was still young, so we went to the famous Wangfujing Street (王府井美食街).

The entrance
Wriggling, live scorpions, seahorses and starfish waiting to be deep-fried
Gold bug (金蝉)
candy
No idea what this was
The things sold in Wangfujing






Addresses:

Da Dong Roast Duck Restaurant 大董烤鸭店
1-2/F , Nanxincang Int’l Building, A22, Dongsi Shitiao, southwest of Dongsi Shitiao Bridge
东四十条甲22号南新仓国际大厦1-2层, 东四十条桥西南
Tel:5169-0328

Bldg 3, Tuanjiehu Beikou, southeast corner of Changhong Qiao
团结湖北口3号楼, 东三环路长虹桥东南角
Tel:6582-2892/4003/4102

2 comments:

Chu Nga Jessica said...

i was there recently too :D very nice restaurant. I got the duckies chopstick stand back as souvenir haha

Rain said...

Jessica,
haha ... the chopstick stand is indeed unique.