Monday 20 June 2011

Day 4: Shopping at Shanghai Book City 上海书城,Kerry Everbright City 嘉里不夜城, & ERA (No, it's not the real estate company) 时空之旅

We wanted to do some shopping. We had a little bit of time, so we strolled to Nanjing Road East Metro Station.



I almost could not believe what I saw. It would have been deemed 'highly dangerous' and 'no human rights' in Singapore. 
 These cleaners were risking their lives to earn a living - an abominable act in Singapore!
This guy sold me a pair of wheels (爆走轮)for RMB 60 after bargaining from RMB 75. A few steps down the street, the second seller asked if I would like to buy a pair at RMB 30. You can never outsmart these Mainlanders.
 My parents got a bit hungry and decided to eat at this shop that was supposed to have enjoyed 'hundred years of fame'.
 My review of its xiao long bao or dumplings: thick, rubbery skin with fillings that are not fit for eating. Suddenly, I realised why Jia Jia Tang Bao was heavenly.
 Beef noodles - lifeless noodles with salty soup, tasteless and hard beef slices.

The worst meal we ever had in Shanghai!
It cost RMB 35 for all. I demanded my parents to stop eating the inedible food, but the thrifty couple was determined to save S$7 for me. Sigh!
 A trourist tram to go around Nanjing Road. You can approach the tram and pay them on the spot and board it. Prices are stated on the tram.

I read that Shanghai Book City was 'off East Nanjing Road and there were many signages when you exit from the People's Square Metro Station'. Whoever said this really ought to be shot a thousand times! We walked for a very long distance before we even saw the beacon of light - the tiny inscription, okay, make that 'embossment', of 'Shanghai Book City' from a great distance. I almost fainted when a local pointed the building to me. As I discovered later, it cost only a mere RMB 12 to travel from Astor House Hotel to the Book City - the meter does not even flinch!

I was expecting a huge shopping centre dedicated to books. No. It was just a six-storey building, with one level for children's books alone. Disappointed? Yes. No lift too! And we had to buy plastic bags, like at Ikea, for our books. Despite my disappointment, Coco managed to buy at least 4 or 5 Laughing Cat Series (笑猫) and other books that totaled up to be about S$50. I would give credit to the cheap rate, but I did not think the variety was fantastic. Quite a few Chinese-translated version of Roald Dahl's though.
From my research on the internet, there were 4 Shopping Cities: New Shanghai Shopping City (high-end), Yu Yuan Shopping City, Xujiahui Shopping City (mid- to high-end) and Jiali Sleepless City. We had been to Yu Yuan and since we knew that New Shanghai which was near to Nanjing Road would be touristy and thus expensive, we skipped it. We were left with two options. Coco chose Jiali Sleepless City.

When we got there, I realised that the information on the internet was wrong. It was 'Kerry Everbright City'. I surmised the name 'Jiali Sleepless City' must be a direct and loose translation from its Chinese given.

The shopping centre was void of shoppers. So don't go there. Only sales assistants were present. The shoe department at the first floor was better. I bought a pair of beautiful heels there.
Our lunch place. It was in the shopping centre itself.

My verdict? Don't go. Not worth mentioning even. The restaurant could even mess up a piece of cod fish - a feat that few could accomplish. 
There were a few shows to watch: Circus (with real animals), Acrobatic Troupe (the oriental acrobatic stuff) and this, ERA - a combination of acrobatic acts and dance. I chose this because it received good reviews on the internet.
I bought the RMB 180 tickets. The cheapest was RMB 80, but I was worried that the seats may not be good.

Photography was not allowed for acrobats' safety and copyright reasons. I pumped up my ISO and white balance so that the picture-taking would be discreet. I guess the light on my camera's LCD was a giveaway. I was tapped on the shoulder and advised not to take pictures.

We enjoyed the show. Quite a few stunts ie. 5 motorcyclists riding in a considerably small globe-like structure at high speed, men standing on stilts and a pogo stick being sent up into the air and did somersaults and stood upright when landed, men walking and running on ever-spinning circular structures at great heights. It was entertaining.

Touted as a show you should not miss: 'Miss ERA and you miss Shanghai', I think it was worth watching if you can afford the time.

Addresses:
Kerry Everbright City
No. 547, Tianmuxilu
Metro Station: Shanghai Railway (Line 1)

嘉里不夜城
547号,天目西路

ERA at Shanghai Circus World
Gonghe Xinlu 2266, Baoshan District, Shanghai
共和新路
Hours: 9am - 7.30pm
Metro Station: Shanghai Circus World (Line 1)

No comments: