Saturday 7 May 2011

Workers' Party Rally

I was at Workers' Party Rally last Saturday, 1 May, at Yishun Stadium, and Low Thia Khiang impressed me thoroughly.

He is witty and humorous. He got quick mental reflexes and his speech is often tongue in cheek.

He retorted Mr Goh CT's claim that the opposition parties are selling 'ko-yok' (plasters),"Of course we have to sell ko-yok, because your PAP policies have given us so many bodyaches!(我们当然要卖膏药啦!你们PAP的政策已经把我们弄到腰酸背痛了!)"

I can't get over that on the good side.

Another witty line of his:

"They keep saying flats are affordable. Of course they are affordable for them. Their salary is so high!(他们当然负担得起啦--他们的薪水这么高!)"

And I like how he ended his speech,"Let us witness your determination to change for the better on 7 May! (在五月七号那天,让我们看到你的决心!)"


 When we reached there at 8.30pm, the stadium was already swarmed with people
 Lots of people were standing on the grasspatch behind the stadium just to listen to the rally
 We decided to try our luck by venturing in
 I was impressed with ice-cream vendors' quick reflexes and business acumen.
There were at least 7 of them there and queues were formed for each stall.
 Seemingly avid supporters who were coy when I raised my camera at them

 At the sheltered seating area
 The blocked stage
 Now then I know what 'people mountain people sea' means
 Raising WP flags as they cheered to agree

                                                     Stadium too crowded, so stay outside

 Bird's eye view from the top of a flat



 Composed traffic police helping us to halt the traffic halfway at the road
 Calm police officers guarding the Khatib MRT gates to prevent overcrowding on the platform
 The gates finally opened
Phew ...

I am typing this on Polling Day, 7 May 2011.

I have become an avid Facebooker these few days - to post articles, Facebook notes from different writers, Mr Brown's podcast on 'Teow Chew Muay' - to, hopefully, educate some of my friends who are adamant supporters of a particular party, so that they could make an informed decision even if they eventually decide to vote for who they feel they should be grateful to.

I like what some of these Facebook writers say:

The kind of government the people choose reflect the kind of people they are.
How true. If I were filthy rich and don't have children, I probably would support the party that's filthy rich and doesn't have a care in the world, literally. We would share the same belief, same values - materialistic values. Why should I care about people who are at the bottom of the social ladder? My concern of leaving an inheritance for my kids are more real than these people who have nothing to do with me.

It's not who we vote for, but what we vote for.
Yes, what exactly do we want? If we want democracy, then let's vote for alternative voices. Haven't we heard the phrase 'celebrate our differences' all too often? If that's what we believe in, then vote for it. If we are happy being bossed around and have our lives dictated by someone high and mighty, and whom we view as God, then let's vote for dictatorship.

Thank you, Nicole Seah.

Because of you, I am awakened.

You have made me realised that the courage of one person can indeed change history.

This General Election has educated and enlightened me on many many things.

I will exercise my right as a citizen in my own country by voting from now on.

No comments: