Saturday 21 May 2011

Some lingering thoughts about the election

Tin Pei Ling
I have never spoken out against Tin Pei Ling. Not because I like her, but because I have nothing against her.

She is, admittedly, young. Only 27. What do you expect from a 27-year-old? Maturity surpassing her age the moment she runs for election?

I wonder how mature her critics are when they were 27 themselves?

Not everybody is a Nicole Seah. Nicole Seah is a gem. She has evidently very supportive parents who allow her to grow in the way she wants. And she is capable of flourishing on her own, by her own merit.

Tin Pei Ling was criticised for her 'biggest regret in life' - not able to take her parents to Universal Studios before the election. When interviewed, she probably hadn't assumed the role of an emergent MP (Member of Parliament) yet. She was being personal about her 'regret' and she was trying to emphasise her good relationship with her parents by suggesting how much they meant to her. She wouldn't expect this response to invite so much bombardment would she?

She was criticised for acting cute while holding a Kate Spade box as the luxury brand box suggested that she was materialistic and shallow.

I believe that picture is a personal picture, not meant for the public eye. And which girl does not like a nice bag? Even a non-bag person like me don't mind a nice bag. I don't find it a problem, but the poor girl is being shot down, just because she held that darn box.

Despite all the criticisms, she is still voted into the Parliament.

It tells me that the majority of Singaporeans do not mind a 'materialistic', 'shallow' and 'immature' candidate as part of their government, after all the criticisms.

Or perhaps the locals themselves are right about their fellow comrades after all - that Singaporeans only talk very big, but no action. Just like the voting - an overwhelming number of people said that they wanted to overthrow the ruling party by voting for the opposition, but the result showed otherwise. Might as well didn't vote. It tells me that Singaporeans don't really mind a walkover actually, because they would vote for the ruling party anyway, vote or no vote.

Potong Pasir Petition
I 'like' the page on Petitioning for Potong Pasir. I smsed my kid's and my details over to the person-in-charge. However, I am in a dilemma ie. to support or not to. My heart does, but my head does not.

Why my heart does:
Mr Chiam See Tong is indeed an admirable man. He has courage that most Singaporeans don't. He has the determination and resilience that most Singaporeans don't. And he truly loves Singapore.

I have a colleague who said that Mr Chiam 'escaped' to Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC because he did not want to lose face by losing Potong Pasir in this election, knowing that people do not support him. I almost fainted, but I couldn't be bothered to argue with her. Some people believe what they want to believe. I don't want to get myself muddy by fighting with pigs. That said, I enjoy good relationships with my colleagues and do not think that she is stupid. But well, she is entitled to her own opinion.

My father was shocked to see from the internet how shabby Mr Chiam's make-shift office in the void deck looked. He thought he would have the same privilege as other PAP MPs who enjoy air-conditioned rooms to conduct their Meet-the-People sessions.

I salute Mr Chiam for holding on to an opposition party for more than two decades. He does not bend over even when his age catches up with him. He refuses to retire even when he suffers stroke twice. He does not care if he does not look as dignified as before. He continues to run for election for the survival of an opposition party in the Parliament, so as to sustain a voice in the Parliament for his people in Potong Pasir.

All being said, my head does not support the petition movement:

Sitoh Yih Bin did win fair and square, even if it's by 114 votes.

He would have won fair and square even if it's by just 1 vote.

It's the third time he ran for an election at Potong Pasir, even though he lost previously, twice at that. I don't know how he put up with the jeers from the people there, but he does seem desperate to want to win the people over.

I don't know too much about the $2 shark's fin or abalone porridge, but if you have the resources, you can do anything to win the hearts of the people. It's up to the people whether they want to be won over.

And they have spoken by their votes. They do want PAP.

For 27 years, they have supported Mr Chiam. They have been the opposition ward for more than two decades. I think it's fair that they decide for themselves what they want for this election. Nobody should scold them 'traitor'. What have they betrayed?

It's only fair that they get some upgrading done since they have been deprived of it for more than two decades simply because they are an opposition ward. Everybody knows it is not fair to use underhanded tactics to compel residents to vote for a particular party, but they are filthy rich and they decide how they want to use the money, what can you do about it?

They have chosen what they want. In the spirit of democracy, I feel that the petition for a bi-election should not have been started in the first place, but at the same time, I view such a petition as a declaration of people's love and support for Mr Chiam.

Loss of NSP (National Solidarity Party)
I was very hopeful that NSP would win. With the popularity of Nicole Seah, I really thought it could happen.
I was very disappointed that it didn't. I believe many felt the same way as I did.

Why do I hope NSP to win?
I feel that Nicole Seah come across as being very real, down-to-earth and knows how to go about achieving what she wants.

Within such a short span of time, she could cause such a whirlwind in the political arena, I am sure she would be able to achieve much more when she enters the Parliament. She can truly be that voice for the people.

Despite people telling her 'I have waited for this day to come for a long time', 'I have been waiting for you', the result showed otherwise. Although 43% is a good percentage, it's still a loss.

Besides Mr Low Thia Khiang's team, Nicole Seah's was the only other hopeful that could enter the Parliament. Alas, the awe-inspiring turnouts at the rallies did not translate into favourable votes. I really wonder what these rally-goers were thinking about.
Did you see the pathetic white patch? It's George Yeo's rally. Even for such a pathetic turnout, which possibly comprised of mainly his grassroot leaders and family members, they garnered more than 40% of the votes. It makes me scratch my head why Nicole Seah's team did not go beyond 50%. Having a Ling up against a weaker Ling was a thoughtful and strategic one I thought, although they denied the placement of Nicole Seah in that ward was deliberate. The growing resentment versus increasing favour leading up to the Polling Day ought to have been powerful enough to topple the other party, but it didn't. Did Singapore voters vote otherwise even though they were impressed with Nicole Seah, because the voters had self-interest in mind ie. Mr Goh Chok Tong is a powerful MP to have for their complaints?

We have seen how phenomenal the turnout for Workers' Party was. One would imagine they would garner more wards judging from the turnout, but it was not meant to be.

I am optimistic that Nicole Seah would run for elections in the future. I am just skeptical about the credibility of the next crowd of voters.

No comments: