Saturday 21 May 2011

Bye, My Old and Faithful

I had resisted getting a new handphone despite having an expanded hairline crack for months.

I can't recall the exact date I threw the phone in a fit of anger when I could not find one of my possession.

But that was definitely the last time I threw it on the floor out of anger, because Baby went to pick it up and tried to fix the loose parts together!

However, from then on, a fine hairline crack was formed across the screen.

I didn't think much about it since it did not affect the readability of smses.

Then the crack expanded. Still I did not think it was a big issue. I could still use it.

But by and by, the crack grew, and I soon could not read the smses until I waited for the handphone light to dim and after that, held it against available light so that I could read the messages.

Still, I held on to the handphone.

I am a technophobic. Any change in technology is an uncomfortable change for me.

But then, my friends and colleagues started receiving weird messages from me:

"I am on ma (mc) today"

Colleague's reply: What's ma?

"I am sorry. I can't read or type sms properly becos there is a ganesh (crack) on my screen"

Colleague: (Don't bother to ask)

I didn't even realise I was sending those funny messages until I read what I sent in my 'sent messages' box.

Imagine my horror!

Even with such astounding mistakes, I held on to the handphone. I guess part of it was also because I found security in holding onto something I have been using for more than two or three years.

Then, I started having problems with the aural function of the phone. The receivers could not hear me.

Just about the same time, for some reason, I left my phone at my parents' place.

My father was absolutely appalled at the condition of the phone,"How could she even use such a phone?!!"

My sisters commented,"Even our father's phone is of a newer model than yours!"

Then my fifth sister dropped the bomb,"Ah pa remarked that he's from 1940s, and you are from 1920s."

That was the final straw.

I have put up enough humiliation and mockery for this phone.

I went to get an iPhone.

No comments: