Tuesday 1 March 2011

Going Bangkok, really

I'm really going to Bangkok!

However, for the last-minute decision that I've made, I sure paid a premium for the hotel stay.

At first, I just dunked in my dollar the moment an agency said they had home-coming flight from Bangkok. We had wandered around NATAS for hours and we were near hopelessness when an agency said they had it. However, it was for weekdays.

I grabbed it almost immediately the moment I heard it's on SQ flight and the time's great - fly there early morning and reach home during midnight. It was beyond 9pm on the last day after all. I was desperate.

My youngest sister could not make the deal though. She had not many days of leave to clear, but the more the odds were against me, the stronger the desire to go Bangkok, so I just had to take it up.

Then, all collapsed on me the next day.

I found out that:

Firstly, Chatchuchak Market is a 'WEEKEND' market!!! That it opens on Friday, Saturday and Sunday only. Although there are certain stalls that are open on weekdays, they certainly don't appeal to me ie. gardening, plants, flowers, fish. I want to see the furniture, home decor items and handicrafts.

Secondly, the hotel isn't all that great. There were bad reviews on the hotel alongside with some okay comments.

I felt like fainting.

It was after numerous calls and brain-racking moments that I finally got a weekend flight over to Bangkok. And I have to top up over $200 for the stupid and rash decision I made, and the flight is changed to Thai Airway instead of my favoured SQ.

My fifth sister said it was most unlike me to book something without doing my research. Yeah, she's right. Bangkok isn't a place that is on my to-go list. But I guess I really wanted to go somewhere, and the "no-go" pressure from NATAS didn't help.

Well, I take it as a lesson learnt: that I should book the trip myself if I should want to travel to somewhere easy to do a Free-and-Easy next time.

No comments: