Saturday 12 February 2011

A Time for Reunion

Every year, I return to my hometown to spend my Chinese New Year, with my kids.

I rarely go back there, but I make it a point to reunite with my relatives once a year.

We don't have any relatives in Singapore. I am born in Malaysia, bred in Singapore. So all my relatives are in Malaysia and all my friends are in Singapore.
The spread for Reunion Dinner
I love home-cooked food. It beats steam-boat anytime. And for some reason, it's true that food in Malaysia tastes better than in Singapore. The meat is usually more tender, especially the chicken.
Our lo-hei

Look at the hands go!

The offerings on Chinese New Year Eve

Our neighbour released a Kong Ming Deng for every possible good wish

First Day of CNY. Isn't Baby cute to join in the lighting of sparklers?
Stepping on 'pop pop'

Happy with sparklers
Coco used to get asthma attacks from sparklers' smoke when she was young. My father would tie the sparklers on the bamboo stick hangers in the kitchen and let her watch it from the living room so that she got the kick out of watching the sparklers yet far enough to avoid getting the smoke into her lungs.
She loves the trike! She rode it in and out of the living room for 2 whole days. Everybody noticed her passion for the trike.

On the 2nd day of CNY
Healthy living as dawn breaks

I can't agree with this message more ever since I saw for myself the cruelty of stroke
When I was young, I used to think it lame for adults to wish each other 'good health' as part of the CNY greetings since everybody would 'inevitably' have good health. Now I include it as MY CNY greetings, especially for adults.
The sleepyheads. And Coco - yet to change out of her CNY outfits

Someone framed this picture up - Coco and her cousin (in the middle) and her uncle (on far left)
9 years later ...
Everybody smiled when they saw the two pictures side by side.
We invited a lion dance troupe to perform at our home

The drum started rolling
This little fiery imp is not afraid of anything!
Inspired by Coco's picture with her cousin and uncle, I tell myself I'll take a picture of these two kiddos year after year
Having their own lion dance
A happy moment

I was on a matching craze. It doesn't matter if the tops are meant for maternity wear.


No comments: