Thursday 30 December 2010

An Unintentional Complaint

I called NEA to inform them about the diarrhoea incident.

Actually, I didn't have the intention to do that.

However, I must admit I felt insulted by the caterer's reply. He offered his 'sincere apology' and offered to make up for the negative experience with another mini buffet. It sounded innocent enough, but what made me upset was his 'clarification' that out of the 20 odd families they delivered the food to, only we had the runs.

I felt that he was implying something else: that we falsely accused them and that we were asking for a free meal.

I actually called NEA to check on which authority I could lodge a complaint to if I ever wanted to do that. The lady on the other end casually asked for the caterer's name and my particulars. I thought they were some routine questions. But towards the end of the conversation, she said,"We will work with Ministry of Health to investigate the matter and get back to you after the investigation."

I was shocked, but too embarrassed to tell her I didn't mean to lodge a complaint there and then. I just wanted to know if there was an avenue which I could do that.

My mother heard from my sister that I had reported the incident to the authority and she asked me not to blow the matter up, so that others don't lose their rice bowl.

I feel kinda guilty about it.

Whenever I lodge a complaint, it's never to dash anyone's rice bowl. I really do mean to give my feedback so that I don't experience the same thing again.

I am also a service provider. I know how a comment can be escalated into a major complaint.

NEA even went down to the caterer's to collect food samples to test at their lab.

But that wouldn't be the food we had consumed, so it's unlikely they would be able to get anything out of that.

NEA also sent me a survey about the details of the incident. But I haven't done it yet. I feel apprehensive that I have blown the matter up, unwittingly.

No comments: