Wednesday 22 December 2010

Her Ears Are Pierced!

Coco has always wanted her ears pierced.

I always procrastinated to let her do so.

I was afraid:
1) of the pain that she would suffer
2) that the ear-piercer might pierce at the wrong spot - ear-piercing is an unforgiving activity. You get it wrong and it will last for a long time.
3) that her pierced ears might get infection
4) that the ear-piercing process might not be hygienic
5) that I had to apply the ear care lotion for her. I was terrified of having to tend to a wound!

I kept postponing it, year after year.

This year, she kept asking me about it. I had to tell myself to let it go:
1) she was willing to suffer the pain. Besides, everybody else had told her that it was like 'an ant's bite'. It might not be as painful as I'd remembered. After all, my pain threshold is very low and hers is amazingly high.
2) I couldn't control the ear-piercer. What I could do was to find someone who was experienced. Besides, millions of people have got their ears pierced, how difficult can it be?
3) Infection was something that I couldn't control. She would have to abstain from seafood to minimise allergy occurrence. And if it really happened that she had sensitive ears, then we could conclude that she was not suitable for ear-piercing.
4) Many have got their ears pierced. Coco couldn't be so unlucky to contract AIDS or any disease by piercing her ears. Nowadays, it is quite safe to pierce ears. We are in Singapore!
5) I just had to grit my teeth and be a brave mother. It is just applying lotion, right? How difficult can it be?

See? I had so many worries. Okay, I am a worry wart - something that you ought to have known through my posts.

Anyway, we went to OG Bugis to get her ears pierced. I had heard from one of the salesgirls that they had such a service there.

What I can say is that, the ear-piercing aunty sounded more experienced than she really was. She said,"We have pierced sooooooooo many people's ears, and NONE has come back because of an infection." "Nowadays, we have to pierce on the RIGHT spot. Last time, people anyhow pierced. Got space, pierced, can already. Now we are not like that. We have to pierce CORRECTLY, make sure the holes are balanced and on the right spot on the ears."

After listening to all these advice, I decided that this aunty was very experienced. Coco would be in good hands.

But my poor Coco had to suffer in her hands. The first one went alright. But the second one - Coco said that the aunty pulled at her ear while struggling to get the ear-piercing gun out! The aunty blocked my view so I could not see what she was doing, but at one point, I did see the aunty gesturing pulling and tugging while she was piercing Coco's ears!
Coco gritting her teeth for the first pierce
"Er ... a bit painful leh ..."

"Didn't they say it was like an 'ant's bite'? Very painful!"

In pain, but smiling for the camera

The excruciating one
"Ow ..."
Biting the bullet
"Owww ..."
Poor Coco!

No comments: