Thursday 28 October 2010

Out of ICU, finally

I visited my English Boss on Tuesday night, minutes before the visiting hour was over.

She's transferred to a five-bedder normal ward after another major operation to remove the swelling of her right brain.

Instead, she has a dent on the right side of her head now. Part of her skull was removed.

The husband said that they would restore the missing skull part using cosmetic surgery.

When I saw her from outside the ward, she was lying on her right side, with her eyes fixated on the machine connected to her finger by a cable.

When I stood beside her, her eyes did not shift.

I began to talk to her. The patient beside her stared at me, surprised that I was talking to someone non-responsive, or perhaps she was simply surprised at me making rhetorical speeches.

My Boss is really skinny now. She used to be really slim. Now, she's plain skinny. Her calves are easily half of mine. Her head was unproportionate to her body. After close to 2 months of being on a drip, she should be.

She looked unhappy.

I wonder if it could be because she doesn't like me to visit her so often. Given her perfectionism, could she not want me to see her in that state?

I bought a reddish-orange gerbera for her. I hope that when she becomes aware, she will be greeted by a cheerful flower.

I put it in a bright pink Ikea vase meant for single flowers.

There wasn't any extra place for me to place the vase, so I put it on the feeding table.

According to her husband, she could not be fed by mouth yet, nor has she made any sound. She doesn't seem to be aware or responsive still.

She will probably be discharged soon since there is no further treatment.

A colleague asked if she would have to undergo yet another operation to replace the missing skull portion before she is discharged.

I hope not. 6 major nero operations within 2 months. Isn't that too cruel?

No comments: