Thursday 21 October 2010

In love with marking

The official PSLE marking exercise is carried out over these four days, with tomorrow being the last day.

Contrary to how most people in my line of work feel about it, I look forward to the marking exercise every year.

I was actually disappointed that I did not get to mark during the year I had my baby, and the following year that I was made to stay in school to pack P1 orientation packages, which was basically a no-brainer job.

Why? Despite my age, I enjoy learning. I feel that I gain insight on how marking is carried out for each marking exercise I go to. To have an idea of the standard of Singapore students' writing is refreshing, although it is also horrifying at the same time, especially when the high standard serves nothing but a hellish contrast to my school's students'. Teaching students how to answer questions and knowing what makes an answer acceptable or unacceptable is enlightening.

Some teachers dread these four days. Reasons given: you have to be confined in this place from 8am to 5pm; it's only marking, not teaching.

For me, I like the marking, even if it's a marking marathon. You mark till the parts that hold the pen hurt, and the shoulders ache.

It's tranquil. Nobody to accuse you of doing anything unethical for no fault of yours. Nobody to irritate you by jumping up and down in a classroom. Nobody to fight with you to get heard. I love the peacefulness of it. Totally. Don't have to get angry over recalcitrant brats. Don't have to be upset over lost books or worksheets.

Tomorrow is the last day of the exercise. Kinda sad that it's going to be over so soon. If there is a job like this, I would jump at it and never look back. Four days is just too short.

In another four weeks, the term will be over. And then the school will close after one more week. I hope I can hold out till then ... ...

No comments: