Monday 18 October 2010

Getting Sentimental about Things You're about to Lose

I get really sentimental about things that are with me for some time.

An example is the window blinds at my balcony.

They were custom-made 3 years ago for Home Decor Survivor. It cost us close to $300 for this pair of beautiful blinds. I adore the walnut colour and the dainty and intricate checks on the blinds.

They look really at home on the balcony and I love the burst of sun they let in when pulled up all the way.

I like the aesthetic touch they add to the house in the morning and afternoon. However, come night time, they don't do privacy any justice.

With lights, the blinds are not forgiving to their owners' privacy. Anybody opposite our flat would be able to have a full albeit translucent view of our messy house. Even if you want to pick your nose or put your feet up on the table, you'd hesitate to do it in full view of unknown peeping Toms.

I was quite torn between taking them down or keeping them. But I decided to take them down eventually as I miss the privacy the conventional curtains give, and I thought if I ever want to set up a home studio or shift my couch and TV up the platform, I ought to get the curtains up again. Having the blinds there will make TV-watching uncomfortable for sure. As it is, I am already feeling self-conscious when the blinds are a platform away from us.

So yesterday, my handyman neighbour took down the blinds and put up the curtain tracks again with the help of a screwdriver.

'Should I, or should I not?' moment ... Viola! The soft and private curtains are back!

It must have taken me a good 2 or 3 hours just to iron those curtains! They were awfully crumbled after being crushed under other trash in the storeroom for 3 years. But when I saw the dreamy organza flowing in the wind, I felt a certain sense of happiness. Curtains are as beautiful, but with more privacy.

I put up the blinds on the internet to sell, but I find myself feeling a wee-bit sad when there was a query about their dimensions. I started to think of reasons I didn't have to sell them off: 1) Perhaps when I am sick of curtains, I can put the blinds up again. 2) If I don't sell them off, I won't have rooms for regret. Next time I can always have them anytime I want. 3) Will I regret selling them off? 4) Actually, they don't take up a lot of space. I can put them aside in the storeroom. 5) They are really beautiful you know? I usually don't find wooden blinds beautiful, but this is an exception. It's a great find.

The only reason for selling them off is practicality. I don't fancy storing things at home actually. Like clothes, someone once said if you have not worn them for one or two years, it's unlikely that you'll ever wear them again. So ditch them.

The only way I can ever convince myself to give or sell away some things is to tell myself that the item is better off with an owner who has a real need or want for it. The new owner will better appreciate it than I do.

No comments: