Wednesday 8 September 2010

Planning for an escape route

Ever since the thought about leaving teaching occurred to me, I have been thinking about what I can do besides teaching.

I made a mental list:

1) Teach at a tuition centre
2) Develop my photography skills, take lessons, hone the skills, and hopefully become a children photographer
3) Become a blogger, as reminded by Coco
What she meant was to make it really public. Monetise it, serve advertisements etc.
(but I'll have to first remove my posts on my marriage first, I think. Too much dirty laundry.)
4) Conduct private tuition

I am really more keen on No. 2 though.

For some strange reason, as much as a technophobic that I am, I get excited about acquiring new gear for photography. Just a few hours ago, I bought a Nikon external flash, SB900, for $650.

In all sanity, I ought to feel my heart ache when I parted with my money for an equipment I am not sure how to use to its fullest advantage, but I actually feel 'fulfilled' when I finally received it in my hands. I have this whimsical feeling about having it now, like I am about to explore the other side of photography ie. flash photography. Somehow, I know I will eventually know how to use it anyway. It's so unlike the 'what if it becomes a white elephant? I am a technophobic you know?' me.

I consider about setting up a home studio. We have the space to create one in the living room, thanks to our ingenuity in deciding to get an Executive Apartment when we first registered for a flat. Of course, William and I fought over whether we should sell the flat to get cash to settle his debts, but I was quite adamant about keeping it so that I could give studio photography a shot. So buying the flash is an essential first step. I wouldn't know what I can achieve if I never buy that flash.

I thought about the possibility of teaching at a tuition centre next January while honing my photography skills at my would-be home studio. I would need some stable income to fund the lightings and the backdrops. I am not sure if that will really happen. I am just brainstorming what I can possibly do if I lose my current job out of my reluctance to live with a miserable grade.

In the past, all these are but luxuries that I should stop at dreaming about. I never thought about quitting teaching no matter how tired I felt. I always thought that teaching was an iron rice bowl until the recent spate of events. I always thought that perhaps one day I might quit, but not in the near future. Suddenly, I find myself thinking about what I can do if I really quit, and how I can get my plans up as quickly as possible since time may be running out for me.

No comments: