Friday 10 September 2010

Picasa Rocks. Photoshop Sucks.

I just want to create a simple collage. You know, four pictures placed together, that's all.

But Photoshop has a way of making simple things really complicated, so that you would give up in absolute frustration.

I googled "How to make a collage using Photoshop CS4" and the steps on Youtube were incredibly hard to follow. Perhaps those people who posted the 'tutorials' really had no intention of sharing, but were in desperate need to grab attention. So they created collages with missing instructions or steps so that technophobics like me had no way of following them.

From one step of making collage, I had to google for more: "How to copy and paste pictures in Photoshop", "How to scale pictures in Photoshop" because all these were the missing explanations from the tutorials in "How to create a collage".

And ... horror of horrors, the instructions given were impossible to follow, because they didn't, and don't, work!

Take for example, "How to copy and paste pictures":
Instructions were:
1) Double click to unlock the picture
2) Press 'Ctrl C' to copy
3) Press 'Ctrl V' to paste

I pressed 'Ctrl V' and all I got was the wrong picture.

Another example, "How to scale pictures":
1) Use 'Lasso' to circle the area you want to protect from being distorted when you scale a picture.
2) Then 'Select', 'Content aware scale' to scale the picture

I got a distorted image still - it was not protected.

Who the hell designed Photoshop?

Microsoft Word alone allows us to scale pictures without distortion, and we don't need to do any 'protection' at all!

Microsoft Word allows us to copy and paste images in just two clicks.

I am not sure if it's Photoshop that's backward or I am. But I find Photoshop a hassle to use. Totally user-UNfriendly.

I'll take Picasa any time for a collage. Easy as anything!

No comments: