Monday 23 August 2010

Review on Music Schools versus Private Piano tutors

Coco went through different tutors before we finally settled for her present Music School.

An unorthodox music school

The first school she went to adopted a Canadian methodology which only allowed children to take their Grade One exam 3 years later. They used their own music book and composed their own music, some of which we felt the melodies were unusual. Although I understood where they were coming from when they insisted parental involvement in the music class, I felt that it was an extra mental burden for me. William and I didn't enjoy the lessons in fact. Come to think of it, if we as adults didn't enjoy them, how could I expect Coco to enjoy them?

Full-time private tutor

I sourced for a private tutor from the forums and found a very patient full-time piano tutor who unfortunately lived in the far eastern part of Singapore. She taught well, I thought, and never raised her voice at Coco. I was impressed.

But due to my pregnancy at that time, the distance proved to be too challenging for me. We had to travel as she does not come to your place unless you "live in Bukit Timah and have cousins" who learn from her as well. There were times I dozed off as I sat on the couch in the room with the tutor and Coco. I decided that it wasn't a permanent solution to engage someone so far away.

I almost engaged another private tutor whose name was 'announced' on a forum for cheating - she collected the fees but made excuses when it was time for her to teach. Fortunately, we felt that she wasn't able to engage Coco and spark her interest in piano, and so we let her go although we liked the fact that she was 'cheap' and could come to our place.

Part-time private tutor

I thought I was lucky when I found a part-time tutor who lived just a few blocks away. In fact, she was our competitor in Home Survivor. Recommended by one of the forummers, I thought she shouldn't be too bad and I had no issue with her being my ex-competitor on a gameshow.

I sat in for the first lesson which was the only sat-in allowed, and learned that there was a great difference between piano tutors. I had the misconception that all piano tutors were gracious and patient, from the previous experience. But this tutor's English wasn't great, and wasn't exactly very patient,"You huh! Sit properly! See how this girl sit!"

I wasn't keen to engage her as a tutor but Coco didn't mind it, probably because she wanted to learn playing the piano. So the lessons commenced.

After some time, Coco complained that "piano is difficult" and was reluctant to practise. I thought she was in one of those giving-up moods and refused to give in.

I stopped the lessons for about a month during my confinement as no one was available to take Coco to my mother's place to practise her piano (I had moved the piano there when the banks issued the letters to seize goods and property) and the tutor said it was fine.

But when I wanted the lessons to continue from where she had left off, the tutor said,"Oh, I didn't know if you still wanted the slot so I gave it to another child already." I thought about it for a while and asked for a refund of the $50 which was meant for the remaining lessons, intending to withdraw. But the tutor said,"If you go to music school, you also cannot get refund. I am already very kind not to charge you for the lessons you skipped. If you want, I can finish up the two lessons, but I cannot refund you the money. It's integrity issue."

What the hell?!!

My money is with you and you claim that it's 'integrity' issue. Indeed. It's an integrity issue - it shows me the lack of integrity in you!

It was under the verbal agreement that she would not charge for lessons skipped that I engaged her as a tutor, but now she insinuated that it was out of good will and kindness that she didn't charge me for the missed lessons.

Her name is Fanny. And she wouldn't show me her 'qualifications' (if she had any) or even let me know her surname.

I could smack myself on the head for engaging her even though I had doubts about her integrity - her flat was shown as having very minimal furniture in Home Survivor at the time of filming. The caption when showing her place was literally '(pieces of furniture) so pathetic ... (少得可怜)' as they only displayed a set of sofa at the time of filming.

When I sent Coco to her place for piano, I realised that the flat was congested with furniture. Although I was a little uncomfortable at my first instinct, I told myself that for the sake of winning the contest, I could not fault them for being dishonest. They were simply 'smarter'. By doing that, a huge contrast would be obvious after the makeover.

However, I did not expect that this dishonesty would manifest itself in a greater form ie. as a lack of integrity even in something so small as being a part-time piano tutor.

At the commencement of the lessons, I had conveyed my wish to her that I would like Coco to take her Grade One exam the following year. That would give her one year to prepare Coco for the exam. With some piano foundation, I didn't think it would be a problem, and Fanny said she could. However, towards the end of the lessons, she said that Coco was 'not ready'.

I have good reasons to believe that she wilfully terminated Coco's lessons because she knew she lacked the competency to prepare Coco for her exam, because Coco took just about 9 months to prepare for her exam at the music school, and she started learning the exam pieces only 2 months away from the exam.

Oh, she suggested I let Coco learn piano 'for leisure, don't have to take exam'. I have no issue about letting kids learning for leisure if the kid is really not keen on piano, but before she tells me she freaks out at the thought of exam, I don't see any reason not preparing my kid for piano exam for grading purposes. Now, I wonder if Fanny herself would refrain her kids from taking piano exams and just learn for leisure.

This episode taught me a lesson: never engage a part-time tutor.

And for me on another level: not to engage a private part-time tutor

Present music school

I wouldn't say I am completely happy with it. However, I do appreciate the school's honesty to put on record the lessons Coco misses and make up for them as and when the schedule permits. There are times when I forget that Coco still had a few paid lessons that were skipped and the receptionist would kindly give her a slot and call to inform me to go down to the school to complete the lesson.

Coco started her lessons with the school since last November. We have had a change of 3 tutors due to the change in Coco's CCA schedule. These 3 tutors are very patient teachers. The current tutor Coco is under is young (only 20) but the fact that she underwent the same system and exam helps. She has realistic expectations and seeks to get Coco to improve each time she teaches.

My only grouse about the school is its late preparation for Coco's exam. Otherwise, I am quite happy with it in terms of its teaching method and the tutors.

Verdict

I feel that it is always safer to go to music schools as we are able to seek recourse in the event the tutors are not professional in their dealings with you. Most importantly, there is no ambiguity, especially when it comes to the fees and number of lessons.

I like this present music school as it allows you to sit in to observe the lessons so that you can help your own child with the practices at home. Another reason I had doubts about the private part-timer's ability was because she didn't allow parents to sit in.

Tutors at music schools are accountable to the schools so the likelihood of them teaching the wrong things is low, compared to private tutors. Like what I mentioned in the private part-time tutor segment, Coco complained that 'piano is difficult'. I didn't understand why until she was learning at the present music school - the private tutor had jumped from Skill Level One to Level Three! The bridging level (Level Two) was ignored and thus Coco found it a struggle to cope with a more advanced level. From what I heard from Coco, the tutor didn't do a good job of teaching her to read notes. She simply told her that this note is say, A. So whenever you see this note, press this key. Such an islolated, rote memorising method didn't work well for Coco. She ended up memorising when she should press this and that key, which could not apply to the next piano piece.

I used to think that a disadvantage about music schools is that we cannot skip lessons, even if we have valid reasons. The present music school has dispelled my misconception. So far, it has made consensus for the missed lessons and never fails to make up for them. With such a system, I haven't got enough reasons to turn to private tutors, what with the risks that come with them.

No comments: