Monday 5 July 2010

Day 4: Breakfasts at Tim Ho Wan & Nam Long Porridge

Unable to bear it any longer, my mother and I sneaked to Sham Shui Po at 7.50am on Day 4 morning ... to eat at Tim Ho Wan Sham Shui Po. We missed the dim sum at Tim Ho Wan so very badly ever since we first tasted it.

We had a hard time finding the place as it wasn't as near to the MTR station as I'd imagined. And unlike Taiwanese, HKers are not exactly helpful. They stop you with a brief and impatient wave of their hand before you could approach them, or do not know the way to the place either. It was a Chinese mainlander shopkeeper who gave me a decent direction.
Our first dish arrived at 8.30am - pan-fried radish cake with chinese sausage (煎腊味萝白糕)

Verdict: I like this. The radish cake is soft and flaky within with bits of tender chinese sausage sprinkled all over it. I usually don't eat chinese sausages as I find them hard and don't blend in with other food generally, but these bits of sausages complement the radish cake very well.
soon kueh ( 潮州蒸粉果)

Verdict: I read a good review article on this, just on the window outside the restaurant and decided to give it a try. I didn't think it was as great as it was described. Wouldn't order this again if I go there again.
salted dumpling(家乡咸水饺)

Verdict: One of the specialities of the restaurant, but I didn't think it was great either. Predictably springy with salty and sweet floury fillings inside.
and of course, our favourite char siew bun (酥皮焗叉烧包)

Other items we ordered: chicken claws and shrimp dumpling
Bill

interior of restaurant


We ta-pao another three char siew buns back for the sleepyhead fans
Second round of breakfast at Nam Long Porridge (Yau Ma Tei)
doughstick
Porridge

Menu
A hot bowl of porridge is great for a wet morning, but I thought HK porridge is nothing extraordinary. Singapore has the same kinda porridge just about everywhere too.

But I learnt one thing: fish belly porridge (鱼腩粥)has lots of bones in them, no matter which place you go.

Getting to Tim Ho Wan 添好运(Sham Shui Po):
1) Sham Shui Po MTR Station Exit B1
2) Turn left at the exit
3) Walk for three blocks till you reach Huang Zhi Street
4) Cross the road
5) Turn left and walk till the end of the building
6) Turn right at the corner of the building and you'll spot the biggest signboard screaming 'Tim Ho Wan'

No comments: