Monday 21 June 2010

Sun's home in LA

Yesterday, I was walking past the provision shop below my flat when the headline of The New Paper caught my eye. It read 'Ho Yeow Sun's $28,000-a-month Hollywood Home' with an accompanying picture of a huge mansion.

I bought the tabloid paper without hesitation and devoured the article.

On the immediate pages, there was a full write-up on the house, size equivalent to 5 five-room flats, and pictures of the beautiful and luxurious house.

The following page is a report on the history of the couple's transaction of units in Singapore, from a humble five-room flat in Tampines, they upgraded to a River Vally unit with a private lift, 2 living rooms and 4 bedrooms, and paid $200, 000 for its renovation and furnishings when Sun's sister and brother-in-law are both interior designers who had helped with the unit-designing. Earlier this year, they sold the unit and moved into the $2.6 million The Suite at Central, which is an apartment with a private lift (again) and in THE prime area of Singapore, Orchard Road.

The write-up blew my mind away.

For someone in her mid-thirties, I find myself feeling disillusioned.

I still remember vividly how Pastor Kong said,"It's no fun giving to the building fund!" when they wanted to build the first building in Jurong West. He assured the church that it would not be forever and that he would not live in the lap of luxury while the rest of us live in squatters.

That was what he said. Of couse, nobody in Singapore lives in squatters now, but who else lives so luxuriously like him and his wife?

I am not saying that it's wrong to live so luxuriously. It's definitely not out of jealousy that I'm questioning the lifestyle. The first question that popped into my head when I finished reading the article was: Did Sun's singing career, her Skin Couture business and Pastor Kong's sermon-giving sessions pay for the $28,000 rent and their branded clothes and rich-and-famous lifestyle?

If they did, they certainly have made it on their own.

I'm just wondering, is there no better option than to live in such luxury? They are involved in humanitarian works. They should know the sufferings of people in other parts of the world out there better than the average Singaporean. Sometimes I wonder if I should have splurged on trips when there are others who don't even have food for months - and I am someone who has never done any humanitarian work in my whole life. I would think for people like them who have been highly involved in compassionate works, they would feel the sting of splurging excessively on themselves when at the back of their mind, they remember the sufferings of the people they have helped. Wouldn't this kind of money be better used if it's used to help the destitutes?

I'm not saying that we are compelled to help the poor and destitutes the moment we have money. We have the options of helping or not helping others. The issue is excessiveness. The article stated that the area that Sun lives in is for the millionaires and rich and famous. Brad Pitt and Angelina owned a property there too.

Is it a necessity to live up there? I always thought Christianity emphasises on necessity and not excessiveness. God blessed David, Solomon and Job with prosperity - did the couple equate themselves with these people?

I have to admit. I am disillusioned.

4 comments:

Shalom said...

Ho Yeow Sun has come a long way. From HDB flat to swanky condo in Orchard Road. From Hollywood Theatre to Hollywood Mansion. From music director to international pop star. From Sun With Love to China Wine. What a change! I remember the first time I saw her was during the Festival of Praise some years back when she was leading the worship at the Indoor Stadium. She impressed me as an anointed worhsip leader. She was then dressed very simply but she looked very elegant. She brought us into the prescence of God. I had great admiration for her. Pastor Sun, as their members lovingly called her, was a qualified and trained counsellor and ordained pastor. I used to pop in to attend some of their services at Hollywood Theatre and I must say I am impressed by their zeal for God. I had to squeeze into the small and stuffy auditorium which was jam packed. Those who can't get in stood outside the auditorium and join in the worship, raising their hands towards the heavens. City Harvest was then one of the fastest growing churches and Pastor Sun was a pillar of strength in CHC. That was the Pastor Sun that I once knew (sorry ah, borrow one of your lines. No plagiarism here). I could hardly recognise her now. Especially when she dances in china wine. Actually I very much prefer plain water. I like her plain and simple clean cut image. She looked so much prettier in her older photos with Ps Kong. Much prettier than Lin Ching Hsia, I think. She looked better to me when she dressed simply than in provocative low cut Armani dresses. The church says she had to 'cross over' to fulfill the cultural mandate. She was launched into Hollywood the way North Korea would launch its missiles. Her 'crossing over' career took off and she rubs shoulders with the rich and shameless, I mean, famous. Home would be a sprawling mansion (see link here: www.2209canyondrive.com) in Hollywood with Brad Pit and Angelina Jolie as neighbours. She had to have a lifestyle that befits her status as a Hollywood star. The church justifies her lifestyle and says "it reflects her accomplishments and they don't see it as lavish or excessive." My jaws nearly drop. Not lavish? Go ask President Nathan who lives in Ceylon Road. His home is only slightly bigger than her nanny's quarters in the mansion. I don't remember any of our top singers living like that. Even Jet Li's bungalow in Bukit Timah pales in comparison. And I think Jet Li is much more well known than her. Sour grapes, you may say. Jealous of her success? Not one bit. I'm contented with what I have. I remember my pastor use to say, "live simply so that others may simply live." How true. We do not need to live in a $1,000 a day mansion in order to be happy. That is indulgence. Excesssive and wasteful, really. The money could have been put to better use. There are many people out there who are struggling from hand to mouth in their daily living. Honestly, I am just as disillusioned as you. I don't blame people who feel outrage. I still keep her first album Sun with Love. "I can see the sun, I can see the Sun with love....' goes the lyrics. I really wish she can sing those lyrics from the bottom of her heart with great conviction. Cos there are a lot of people who could not see the sun, who could not feel any love out there. Instead of reaching out for the moon and stars in Hollywood, perhaps Sun can point to them the real Son. The Son of God who loves us and gave himself for us.

Rain said...

Wah, Shalom, do you want me to give you my blog id and password so that you can post on my attic as well? ;)

A very long post on remembering Yeow Sun. Honestly, I don't attempt to write about what I remember about her because although she was ever my cell group leader and counsellor and spoke to me on a personal level, I never felt really close to her. She was a nice and warm person no doubt, but somehow the 'personal' part never reached me. I never could decide if I should consider her accent genuine although it really has always been like that since I met her in church when she was 19. Many church mates thought she didn't look outstanding, but she had the glory of God. Even at that time, I thought it sounded flakey. In all due respect, I never thought she was pretty. She had good complexion and was, and is, slim, no doubt, but I didn't think she was 'pretty'. Comparing her to Lin Ching Hsia and going as far as to say that she is prettier than Lin - wah, I disagree lah! Lin was THE beauty of the century or decades. If her husband ever read your comment, he would bankrupt all his Esprit outlets to sue you to the end of the Earth.

I honestly don't feel good about her going to Hollywood. I remember Pastor Kong used to tell us in his sermons about evangelism,"There's no need to be a thief to reach out to a thief!" although we should be 'all things to all men'. Somehow I feel that the reasons for her going into the pop industry are not convincing. I don't think what I write will put in a very good light if I ever attempt to. All I have are questions about her intents, ambitions and desires.

I never knew Hollywood theatre (the one in Katong) was 'stuffy'. It was air-conditioned leh.

Thanks for your informative comment. I didn't know Jet Li has a bungalow in Bt Timah.

Do you keep a blog too?

Shalom said...

I'm not a blogger. I only read other people's blogs. And make commentaries on their blogs. Just like I don't really cook, but like to comment on other's cooking. Very bad hor? I think if I blog, my site will be hacked into pieces by all who read them. So I dare not try. Your blog is really good and you write really well so you do not need any other writer. This is after all YOUR blog. I only post some kaypoh commentaries on the sidelines. And share some of the thoughts deep inside me. Just like how you share about yourself through your posts. It brings us into your world. And I must say your blog is one of the good ones that I've come across. I must say I share a lot of the same thots that you've posted.
And I admire your guts in sharing them. There are a lot of ppl out there who can identify with you cos you show the real you in your posts. That's why I enjoy reading them. I actually do not like to comment on ppl cos they might think you are judging them. But this CHC saga has been bothering me and makes me want to find out the truth for myself. And find like minded ppl to exchange info. So I share what I know with you and others who read your blog. I do not like to gossip about other ppl really, especially pastors cos they are servants of God. But when they start to deviate so much from their calling, it makes you wonder whether you still want to go along with all their hypocrisy. The outcome of this CHC saga will have far reaching consequences than you can ever imagine. A lot of ppl's faith are hanging on the balance awaiting the outcome of the investigations. The very foundations of CHC will be shaken to the core. This will be a wake up call for many people. I pray that God will protect His sheep from all harm. "And may He who has begun to do a good work in us, perfect it until the day of His coming." just as Ps. Kong shared this morning at the service. Shalom!

Rain said...

You flatter me. I blog because I have a compelling need to share with imaginary audience - readers in this case. Knowing that my English is far from perfect, I only gathered enough courage to blog after reading many broken-English blogs, because there are just as many blogs that are written in bombastic English.

Thanks for telling me that there are people who share how I feel and think, because since young, I've heard the phrase 'You are weird' or 'Why you so funny one(read: weird)' many times more than I wished to hear, till I felt totally insecure about sharing my thoughts. This is perhaps one of my greatest reasons for blogging.

I don't have as many readers as you imagine. With the number of readers increases, your critics will also increase. I've seen unpleasant or idiotic comments on a friend's blog when she didn't put the comment section on the moderation mode, and I asked myself if I could handle those ugly moments. I can't, so I choose to moderate comments on the blog. Not that I have many comments to moderate, but it acts as a deterrence to those who try to be mean. Most people would give up posting nasty comments if they know their comments have to be read by the author first, unless they are so determined to give the author a bad day.

So you can do the same if you ever decide to blog. :)

Reading your comments also make me feel that we are on the same frequency about the CHC matter. :) Like you, I'm anxious to know about the truth of the matter, yet on the other hand is apprehensive of the impending outcome.