Friday 25 June 2010

Remembering the Pastor Kong I knew

When I read about City Harvest members' defence on Sun's lavish lifestyle in LA, I can totally understand where their arguments are coming from.

An excerpt from the article:

MediaCorp spoke to churchgoers yesterday after its 12.30pm service and most - including those who are learning about her lavish Hollywood home for the first time - seemed unfazed by the news.

"Well, she is a celebrity," said 23-year-old student Andrew Lee.

Another churchgoer, Mr David Ong, told MediaCorp that Ms Ho's living arrangements in Hollywood were well-known.

Asked whether they thought part of their tithes was being used to fund Ms Ho's lifestyle, the 10 churchgoers MediaCorp spoke to did not think so.

A member who only wanted to be known as Mr Lim said: "Church money is separate and is protected by the church's constitution. All our financial transactions are on our website - you can go and check it out."

Ms Audrey Tan, 27, said what Ms Ho did was her business and that she had probably paid for the rent from what she earns from her business and royalties as a professional artiste.

Soon after, a bus pulled up to the kerb and a group of elderly folk disembarked. Pointing to the group, a church member who declined to be named said: "This is where part of our tithes go to - we buy them food, medication and pay for their transport to church and back."

'Asked whether they thought part of their tithes was being used to fund Ms Ho's lifestyle, the 10 churchgoers MediaCorp spoke to did not think so.'

Neither did I. And this is the only reason I am giving Pastor Kong and Sun the benefit of doubt before the investigation by CAD is complete.

The public condemns the CHC members as being 'brainwashed', 'blinded' and such.

A blogger commented that the CHC members' defence of Pastor Kong was weak and their replies were idiotic - "He is my hero."

I would think such replies are idiotic too if I hadn't been a CHC member.

I used to think that the people supporting the plane-bombing terrorists, Hitler, Saddam Hussein and even Fa Lun Gong were brainwashed and didn't have a mind of their own too.

But it's all becoming clear to me.

These followers share their ideologies, beliefs and spend so much time with them till they see themselves as knowing them up close personally.

These leaders often have become more than just leaders. They are friends to the followers. Not just a hi-bye friend, but friends who speak to you intimately, about their ideals, about their visions, about their beliefs, about their own lives even.

I remember the Pastor Kong who blew his nose with a hanky right at the pulpit. I didn't think anything of that but a friend was charmed. She said 'he is so real'. And it occurred to me that he wasn't so politically polished that he thought he had an impeccable image to maintain.

I remember the Pastor Kong who said his dream car was never a Mercedes, but a Volvo. Up till today, I don't know what a Volvo is. The only cars I ever know (in chronological order that I knew them) are Mercedes (because my father owned two when I was young), Volkswagon Beetle (because we called it a 'frog' when my father surpassed it on the Malaysia road, in a bid to make us kids excited and happy), Mini Cooper (because it looks so cute) and perhaps Jaguar and BMW (you can't miss the flashy logos).

I remember the Pastor Kong who didn't do well and was using a cracked plastic rostrum. I remember the old, beaten drum set that was desperate for replacement. I remember the Pastor Kong who, despite not doing well for years, perservered and held on to his beliefs. I am sure he must have felt discouraged and wanted to give up at times, but he never let any of his disappointments or fears shown - I think it takes a lot of strength to withhold your fear. I also think it's hard work to maintain a godly appearance, even if it is a facade, in front of many for years. And you're talking about 20 years, mind you.

I remember the way he preached. He doesn't preach in a distant manner. His style is always very personal, and emotional. It draws people to him. He has always been charismatic. I always thought him quite handsome even though he always claims to look hideous. But of course, Pastor Prince is handsomer, haha! I remember falling for Pastor Prince the first time I saw him emceeing Festival of Praise when I was just 15. I didn't even know who he was then.

I remember the way he said,"Beloved, I want you to know ..." It didn't occur to me that it was his pet phrase until a cell group mate imitated his line and intonation that came along with it.

I remember the way he criticised his own singing - "I don't sing. I croak - 'ribbit, ribbit ...'"


I remember the Pastor Kong who sternly told the teenagers who dragged their 'Yesssss ...' after asking a question to the audience seated at the back of the auditorium,"Don't give me a tired 'yes'!" and made everybody sit up. After which he immediately clarified,"Pastor is not angry ..."

I remember the Pastor Kong who told us people asked him how he handled the young youth church and made the youngsters listen to him since teenagers are known to be rebellious and he said he told them,"You need to let them know you're disciplining them because you love them."

I am listing down the ways I can remember the Pastor Kong I knew because I am trying to say that, when a person is your friend, or you see him as a friend, it is difficult for you to associate him with something bad. You've heard him talking about high ideals and visions despite the low valleys in life. He has shared his thoughts and feelings with you in the way friends would.

How can you ever doubt your friend? How can you be convinced that he's not what he said himself to be? Even Huang Na's mother (remember the 8-year-old China girl who was violated and killed by Ah Hao?) maintained that Ah Hao could not have been guilty when the police first listed him as a suspect. They were not even close friends, but because she knew him as the regular guy who was friendly to her and her daughter, she chose to give him the benefit of doubt until he was proven guilty.

I myself will not be convinced that Pastor Kong is associated with fraud, unless it is proven. Yes, all 'evidence' offered by the tabloids seem to be pointing at him and his wife, but till the day the official judgement is passed, I still want to believe that the beloved pastor I once knew is innocent.

2 comments:

Shalom said...

Much as I would like to also give Ps. Kong the benefit of the doubt, I fear that CAD will likely unveil a lot of skeletons in the closet of CHC, just like NKF and Ren Ci's. Don't get me wrong. I'm not hoping to see the downfall of Ps Kong. I also do not believe that he's a fraudelent person out to con people. In fact, he's been instrumental in building CHC to what it is today. And in the process, he's made a lot of sacrifices and also touch many lives. He's very well respected in the Christian community both here and overseas. The recently concluded Asia Conference bears testimony to this, with more than 25,000 overseas and local delegates in attendance. I also want to believe that all those allegations are not true and that he will come out of this saga unscathed and be able to walk tall again. But somehow I have this feeling that this might not be the case after reading all the forums on the internet. A lot of information have been concealed from the public's eyes, it seems. And looking at CHC's financial records, especially its related company Xtron Productions, which manages Sun's recordings and album sales, there is cause for worry. Many quesions remain unanswered. There is a serious lapse in transparency and accountability. CHC is now in the midst of a leadership transition. A thorough cleaning up of the house is taking place. Top lawyers are being hired to provide legal counsel to the church. But has it come a little too late? The drama has already begun to unfold. Millions of $$$ are involved and this scandal could well turn out to be bigger than NKF's and Ren Ci's. Really hoping that all my fears are unfounded!

PS - I thoroughly enjoy reading your blogs. Very real and dramatic also. You write really well. Very good read.

Rain said...

Wow, thanks for reading, Shalom!

I can't even start to tell you how inadequate I feel about penning the things I feel and think. You yourself sound like an eloquent writer.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The apprehension you have for Pastor Kong is exactly what I am experiencing. I'm glad that there's someone out there who shares the same sentiments.