Sunday 4 April 2010

A Tribute to Thomson Medical Centre

For all the good experience and gratitudes, I just want to record down my thanks to Thomson Medical Centre when I had my baby in 2008.

I had thought that private hospitals are too expensive, as have many others. When you do your sums, you realise it's actually quite affordable, especially when you get the free upgrade from 4- to 2-bedder. I heard that they only have one ward that is a 4-bedder, so it's almost always that you would get a 2-bedder.

William paid about $1k in cash for the baby and me after the Medisave deduction. A friend told me that she paid about $200 in cash for a natural birth!



The ward. I stayed in the bed nearer to the window.
My tummy just before the Caesarean
How the bed looked like just before we left. The food at the hospital was yummy. With boiled soup to help nursing mothers boost their milk supply!
Baby when she was just out. Wailing ...
and wailing ...
William waiting for Baby outside the nursery
A poster about the Thomson Angels - the TMC nurses

I'm one difficult customer. Seldom pleased with service. But this hospital has my vote for service anytime. The nurses would talk to you to make you feel not so jittery before the surgery, or when they are changing for you, basically trying to distract you from feeling uncomfortable. The procedures ie. removing of tubes (catheter and drips)was almost painless because they would prepare you by asking you to breathe in first (when removing the catheter), or spray a cold spray on the back of your hand (when removing the drips). Very unlike KK at which the nurses just came by and plucked out everything from you, without pre-empting you, like you are not a human being.

TMC is the best maternity hospital possible. Really. I never knew childbirth didn't have to be painful until I went there. They made everything seem and sound so natural, unlike their almost inhumane counterpart, which made childbirth a trip to hell. It was there and then that I realised why most women dare to give birth the second, third and even fourth time.

No doubt about it, TMC is the best!

No comments: