Sunday 21 March 2010

She knows what she wants

Coco was tasked with completing a composition on robbery by her beloved enrichment centre.

Guidance sentences were provided. However, Coco insisted on writing her composition her way. She had at least 6 dialogue sentences in the first paragraph. I was dismayed and told her that she was supposed to use the helping sentences instead of doing it her way, she said she needed to show the enrichment centre how she was like first. I took 'how she was like' to mean her 'writing style'.

I am very surprised that at this age, she wants to develop a writing style of her own. However, as an anxious mother who was more concerned with academic improvement - and I had sent her for an enrichment class solely because I am worried about her Creative Writing skills, I asked her to follow what she was given.

She continued to surprise me by insisting to show her enrichment teacher her own work first. She said that she had asked the teacher if she could have 6 dialogues in a paragraph and the teacher had approved it.

Coco had exhibited this determination trait in her since a young age.

Even when she was 4 or 5, given many choices, she had chosen a purple-jellied ice-cream. I didn't think it would taste great and had asked her to choose another one. I gave her other options,"Do you want this? Do you want this?" She insisted on her original choice.

The ice-cream seller remarked,"She has very strong character. She knows what she wants."

I hope I will not ruin this wonderful trait of hers in my bid to get her to be academically-driven.

No comments: