Tuesday 16 March 2010

Eliticism in the flesh

I took some kids to a debate competition today.

We didn't win, except for the 'Best Speaker' Award for the 2 rounds, which was expected for that dramatic and outspoken child.

I, rather than they, was disillusioned, over a different issue.

My kids pitted against Coco's school. Some GEP kids.

One of them was visibly arrogant and spoilt.

She interjected my kids' speeches, all of them, without asking if she could. I had observed that those who wished to interject ought to have raised their hand and said,"Point, sir!" but not this girl.

Whenever she heard something that she wished to clarify or rebut, she simply stood up, with her plastic chair making such a din, and raised her hand as she spoke.

As a result, my first kid was startled and intimidated. He continued to speak, but in a softer and quicker voice, and forgot to make eye contact with anybody from then on.

When she couldn't quite hear him, she would demonstrate her inability to hear him by putting both hands behind her ears, outstretched her fingers to show that she couldn't hear him, or to 'help' her hear better. As if that really helped!

Coco happened to be in the same Mother Tongue class as this spoilt brat's brother.

She commented that her brother was equally annoying. Unco-operative, aloof and thought a world of himself. "Because they are rich!"

I have heard people mentioning just how great these GEP kids think they are, but I always thought they are a few in a million. Today, I saw one truly spoilt and arrogant kid right before my eyes.

Insufferable, I thought.

Is Coco's school full of such brats? I had met quite a few nice parents from her school and I made the assumption that truly rich people are humble and nice.

Boy! That girl just turned everything over. I saw for myself what 'elitist' truly means. All the posts that I had written about myself being elitist is nothing compared to what this girl thought about herself. She's positively 'elitist' and 'arrogance' in the flesh!

It made me wonder how she will be like when she becomes an adult and how many people would put up with her eliticism and arrogance.

No comments: