Friday 26 February 2010

An Honest Cab Driver

Last night, after having our dinner at Swensen's (yes, we love the salmon and mushroom baked rice), I hailed a cab home.

However, the cab driver was not able to change lanes as there were other vehicles blocking his way and he was forced to turn towards Khatib.

I was quick to judge. I thought, with a grudge,"Typical of cab drivers. Want to take the long route home." But before I dwelt too much into it, the cab driver uncle said,"I'll not press the meter."

I was 'HUH?' I haven't met an honest cab driver for a long time. I had an unpleasant experience of a cab driver taking the long route to the zoo. It was obvious to even a non-driver like me because he went back to almost the same starting point before he really started driving to the zoo.

And true to his word, he made a U-turn at a traffic light after driving till he nearly reached Khatib, and didn't press the meter till he went past the place we hailed the cab at.

I am impressed. I was in a state of disbelief till I got down the cab, and forgot to check out his car plate number and name or take note of the cab company.

Like most customers, we only bother to lodge complaints, but when we do get good service, we seldom compliment.

No comments: