Sunday 13 December 2009

'Manual' mode

I just want to announce to God-knows-who:

I have, and am learning, how to use the 'Manual' mode!

All along, 'Manual' mode is a mystery to me. Why should I be using M mode when Aperture-priority, Shutter-priority, P, Auto, and all the pre-set modes ie. Portrait, Landscape, Nightscene are just as good, if not better, in helping me to capture the images?

And I always suck at using the M mode. It's always too dark, too bright, too blurry. Never a great picture. However, I continue to endeavour in using the Aperture-priority mode so that I don't degenerate into using the P or Portrait modes all the time. I'm a firm believer of difficult or impossible to unlearn what you have learnt, especially the wrong methods, so I try very hard to improve instead of deprove most of the time, except when it comes to Maths, and maybe Science.

I was in Malaysia the few days before and I was shooting my hometown all over.

Some shots came out too dark or too bright when I used Aperture-priority mode. At one point, I decided to change to M mode so that I could adjust the shutter speed to 'control' (can you imagine me using the word 'control' camera-wise?) the amount of light coming in. And it worked well. From there, I try to remember that if my shutter speed is too high or too fast when shooting a still object or posed picture eg. 1/100, I'll get dark picture. If I want a less exposed picture (the sun is too bright), I need to up the shutter speed so that less light can come in.

It's a small kind of 'awakening' for me where camera and photography is concerned. I've always read that shutter speed has to do with the letting of light in, but somehow, I couldn't digest it. Now I am starting to understand.

Wow, as I reflected on all these, I feel that I've come a long way in learning about how the camera works. I still have loads to learn and these are just peanuts, but I'm just very glad that my camera did not become a white elephant like I had first worried that it might.

2 comments:

Fendi-windi said...

You need to understand the meter. Whatever mode give you the same "values". Manual mode allows you to change to a value and let it stay there until you decide to change it again.

As an example, light in an evenly litted room is constant, ever wondered why when you use automatic mode, the shutter-aperture values keep changing?

Rain said...

Haha, thanks for dropping by. I understand a little more about the Manual mode now. Just a wee bit more. I do know that it allows me to stay at a certain aperture and shutter value till I decide to change them.

I'm just documenting my journey for whichever I do, and camera happens to be something I am nookish at now, and will be for a long time. I think it'll make for fond memories to see how far I've come with a DSLR next time.