Tuesday 17 November 2009

Chinese Musical

I took Coco to the Chinese Musical, 生命之树, put up by her school last night.

It was impressive, considered being the first-time production of the school. The massiveness of participants, time and effort put in is not too hard to imagine, amidst the exams and all.

I bumped into Coco's English teacher and she said that the whole production is purely based on voluntary basis. For the whole ten months of preparations, I've never even heard about it, and neither had Coco, until the tickets were ready for sale.

When Coco showed me the letter on the Musical, I didn't think anything of it, until I saw her less-than-satisfactory Chinese results. I thought perhaps the musical could be a way to interest her in Chinese. The tickets were a bit on the steep side though. It cost $45/pax for better seats and $35/pax for the cheaper version and matinee.

I couldn't make it for the matinee obviously so I opted for 2 tickets for 7 - 9pm.

I almost couldn't make it still because I felt so bad after I had fever on Saturday and diarrhoea on Sunday, although I really wanted to go. I'm not exactly a big fan of musicals and plays although I've always been a literature student, but I wanted to be there with Coco.

In the end, I took a fifty from William and took a cab to NUS University Cultural Centre. The trip alone cost $30.

After knowing that the whole production is voluntary and not through deliberate recruitment which goes through the usual audition drill and all, I couldn't help but compare the school with mine. It'll never work in my school. Oh well, life's unfair anyway.

No comments: