Thursday 29 October 2009

A Good Reason, Please

I was called into the 2nd boss' office to explain why I threw away a kid's pencil case. I'm not sure if the counsellor had alerted the bosses about it or the parent emailed the bosses.

I didn't do it on purpose. I was questioning the kid on the whereabout of one of the loot and I dropped the kid's pencil case in my wastepaper basket while asking him,"How would you feel if somebody else throw your pencil case away?" Subsequently, I forgot to retrieve it and today, it's already gone.

I admitted that it's an oversight on my part and I would apologise to the parent, and would replace the item. The parent accepted my apology and she didn't want the replacement. But I insisted, because it's a matter of principle. I threw the item away, so I should make up for it.

But what gets me down is: my 2nd boss told me that I should close the case and leave it as that.

I'm disgruntled because we all know who stole the item. It's only a matter of principle that the thief should pay for it if the item cannot be found. If a company's fund is embezzled, as far as I know, the embezzler should return the money. But the 2nd boss quoted another scenario: the criminal is punished already, so he should be spared further questioning.

What punishment has the kids received? Scoldings?

No wonder thefts are so rife here. There's no consequence. Stealers keepers. There're more incentives to steal than not.

I also want to be a thief.

That aside, this matter, plus the impending big boss' talk with me regarding the crazy mother, which I got a bit of wind of from the 2nd boss, sets me thinking that perhaps these are cues for me to leave this place.

I think about going on study leave for a masters.

That would mean 'no pay'.

I'm not sure if I would be able to survive without pay. I won't be able to send Coco to her enrichment classes if I go on no pay.

If I can't go on no pay, I'll probably ask for a transfer next year, but that'll mean another one-year wait before I can leave this place. I hope I'm still in one piece by then.

But then again, many colleagues are asking for transfers next year, and their reasons are more valid than mine, so I probably won't stand a chance. I'm not even sure what reason I can give. Change of environment? A bit lame right? Disappointed with the place? Quite negative and not advisable to give such a reason. Probably might shift house? Also lame. He might counter that with,"Then wait till you shift house."

No comments: