Monday 9 February 2009

Chest-heaving problem

Coco got a tongue-lashing from me this morning.

I'd asked her to use her respiratory products at least 3 times within a span of 15 minutes and she hadn't. When I checked with her for the 3rd time, she said she couldn't find it. I was mad with her,"How could you not know where it is when you'd used it last night?!!"

She thought for a second and looked at me,"It's on the bed."

She went there to get them. They were not there.

She went to her room to find them. They were not there.

I got impatient. The schoolbus would arrive anytime and we were still searching ardously for her stuff which should have been used and kept at a designated place.

Then it occurred to me that perhaps she'd bluffed me about using them last night. I went to my bag to search for them and true enough, they were there. She hadn't used them last night when she told me she had!

I exploded,"You lied to me! You didn't use them at all last night!"

I don't know what's wrong with children nowadays. Instructions have to be given 3 to 4 times before they start to listen. And I don't know what's wrong with the way I bring Coco up. She wasn't like that before she went to school. Now she lies to me on the smallest thing, and she actually believes her own lies. She thought she'd used the products when she hadn't, just because she lied to me that she had.

No amount of pep talks seem to work on her.

I've educated - ok, nagged - at her on how her respiratory stuff are vital for her life. They are literally her life-savers. She has to use them twice a day faithfully. If she doesn't, her lungs are going to be spoiled and she won't be able to eat ice-cream or cold stuff even when she becomes an adult. She won't be able to do strenuous exercises or camp or hike either because she wouldn't have strong or healthy lungs.

I got the polyclinic doctor who sees her regularly to monitor her condition to talk to her about using them faithfully on her own.

She doesn't seem to get it.

What else can I do?

No comments: