Saturday 1 March 2008

The Bag Boy

My 'bag boy', as William calls him, has been changing for the better.

Just the other day, Thursday I think, he took a girl's pencil case when I wasn't around. When the monitor tried to get it back from him, he 'banged my head against (another boy)'s head'. I screamed at him and asked him loudly if what he did was right or wrong. He kept quiet. And at some point, he turned and stared at those victims who laughed at him for being scolded. I demanded that he apologised to his victims. He refused to budge and I left him alone while I briefed my kids on other matters. Then suddenly, he stormed over to the monitor and shouted,"SORRY!" in an unapologetic manner. I was very mad. I screamed,"Don't accept the apology!" And I went on to scream at him for his poor attitude, that he didn't mean it at all. He stuck his fingers into his ears and refused to listen.

After that, I went on to do other things. Then after about 5 to 10 mins later, I saw him going to his friend (the 'another boy') to apologise meekly and hugged him. After that, he went over to the monitor and the girl to apologise and offered his hand to make up with them. The girl couldn't decide. I told her I was not going to decide if she should accept it or not, but if she felt that he's sincere, she may want to accept it. And she did.

Some time later, I took the bag boy out and asked him why he apologised. He smiled widely and said,"I go and think already, I think I'm wrong lah."

I went on to ask him why he always doesn't bring his stationery. He replied that his father shouted at him when he asked for money to buy pencils,"Go away lah! I got my own problem!"

I feel so sorry for him. He reminds me of another 'naughty' boy in my previous school. I'm going to buy a set of stationery for him tomorrow.

No comments: