Monday 5 November 2007

Pianos, pianos, pianos ... haiz

I'm still weighing the pros and cons of getting a used versus new piano.

It's getting to be quite painful.

The boh tak second-hand dealer had warned me about other dealers' buy-back guarantee. I have to agree that he could be right. But I'm not very comfortable in buying a piano from him.

New piano - the main con is the price tag. I have no idea how long this item is going to last in my house. My main worry is after a year, I might need Coco to stop her piano lessons, depending on how she does in Primary 2.
Used piano - the main pro is the price tag. But I get quite hanged up about its various cons: the age of the piano, whether its tone and sound are still alright, whether it will give me problems a few years down the road, whether I would be able to sell it off next time I want to upgrade, whether I would be getting a piece of junk for thousands of dollars.

We went to the free trial piano lesson at the forum-recommended tutor's place in Bedok yesterday. It was very structured, unlike the group lesson Coco has been taking. I understand the lesson objectives and so did Coco. Apparently, Coco herself prefers individual coaching as well. She said the tutor was very patient. The only problem is, the tutor lives at least 1.5 hour away from my place. I'm not sure how this can be worked out. It's times like this that I really wish to have a car.

No comments: