Thursday 20 September 2007

A resounding pain

My Science HOD's wife passed away during childbirth.

It was a condition called 'amniotic fluid embolism'. The amniotic fluid went into her lungs and drowned her during the caesarean operation.

The devastated man is left with a three-year-old and a newborn in ICU.

I can't imagine the level of trauma the whole incident has triggered. It was supposed to be a happy occasion. The couple would have a girl and a boy, which made up the character 'hao' or 'good' in Chinese.

It's a sudden death. And the three-year-old only got to know that her mummy will never come home just yesterday. The poor little girl.

I'm disturbed. I kept thinking about how a person could cope with something as tragic and sudden as this. I don't ever want to go through anything similar to this.

I feel for the wife because I went through a caesarean trauma 7 years ago. I almost died of excessive bleeding. And the methods the doctors used to save me were painful and without warning. Whatever I had gone through remains vivid and alive up to this day. For this reason, I vow never to go back to KK if I ever have another child. Every reminder of that incident is a painful moment. Because it's so painful, I don't dare to forget about it. I'm unable to forget about it.

At this very moment when he's weak, he still needs to be strong for the sake of his two children. God knows how difficult it must be to battle the temptation to give in to devastation and madness while bracing himself to face his two kids who are constant reminders of his wife. I pray: God, give him as much strength as he would need, and much more than that, to go through this ordeal. Protect the little one who is in ICU, that he will be safe and well. Watch over the little girl who lost her loving mother. Send your angels to charge over them, Lord.

No comments: