Friday 22 June 2007

Insomnia: my job

I can't get to sleep.

I find teaching really stressful. Not the 'teaching', you know? It's the miscellaneous, nitty gritty administrative stuff that really gets on your nerve.

I'm bothered by the inefficiency of the school. I can't believe it. I've been in the school for almost two months and I don't even have a generic password for the common computers. And I don't even have a laptop just yet. I have to wait till school reopens, and after the laptop is given to me, I don't know how long more I have to wait before it can start servicing me. God knows what else is involved in the starting to use of the laptop!

Tomorrow, or rather, today, later, in about 4.5 hours, I'll have to be in school. And I can't sleep! I have to remember to do this and that, ask this and that so that I can do this and that. I hate the job because of all these mundane stuff. And it's not like I procrastinate. Others procrastinate and I have to bear the brunt of it. I can't work on the admin stuff without a laptop at my work station. It's just not working well doing them at home. I have to delay all my questions and doubts till the next working day before I can get to even ask them. And it doesn't mean that I get the answers straight away.

I don't understand why teaching can't be like what our teachers used to do in the good old days, where teaching really means 'teaching'.

No comments: