Saturday 12 May 2007

Lan Tan Zi

It's been a week since I started work.
I'm more humane as a teacher this time. I try to treat every child as an individual and treat them with respect. I also respect their bladder when they asked to go to the toilet. I no longer give a flat 'no' when they ask for a toilet break.
It's been great so far, except that the relief teacher didn't do her job. Lots of worksheets and workbook practices left unmarked. Not to mention about marking corrections, getting kids to do corrections or getting the whole class to hand in their books or files. In short, it's a mess that I've picked up. Well, I had prepared myself for this actually. I would say that very few teachers, even the full-fledged ones, are as organised and strict when it comes to books and files. Besides, she's only a relief.

I just hope that the nightmare of the unmarked stuff will not be loaded onto me, and that it'll be over soon. I must remember to defend myself if anyone tries to ask me to take over the back-logging. As it is, I've been going through the worksheets she got the kids to do without marking them. And I'm not done yet. The fact is: she kept giving the kids worksheets to do without marking them. In fact, she gave them ALL the worksheets for this term so I'm practically left with nothing for them to do, except marking, going through the answers with them and marking their corrections, oh yes, and to chase after them for worksheets and books not handed in. She's very laxed with the kids, so the kids didn't think it necessary to hand in their stuff. Oh boy, sounds like I got lots to do. I think I need to tell, and remind, myself that I go in only in May and I'm not obliged to pick up the shit she leaves behind. I only need to start the kids on 'Shapes' and do a good job from there.

It's quite a mental burden though.

No comments: