Wednesday 3 January 2007

Behold, it's here

O wow, the first day is over. I just woke up from a nap. I got exhausted from all the hype and the physical 'strains' - I had to wake up at 5am despite sleeping at 2am you know.

I'm quite impressed by the way the school runs its stuff, like the way they allocated different areas for different levels to assemble for the first day to make the P1s especially feel at home and comfortable. They have a buddy system (which is common across most schools) in which a P5 accompanies 2 P1s for recess, to assist them in buying food and drinks.

Coco even bought a packet of chrysanthemum tea for me using half of what we gave her for pocket money. She ended up borrowing money from another classmate - horror of horrors! It dawned on me that I ought to educate her on spending and saving. Before she went to school, I had envisioned that she would come home telling me that she didn't spend a single cent at school as she ate her packed lunch, and I would teach her, motherly and proudly, how she could save up the pocket money she had been so prudent with. I've always been a thrifty child and I thought Coco would inherit this part of my gene from me. Looks like she's quite a spendthrift. My elder sister thinks it's because it's her newfound freedom in the finance arena so she's going a bit wild.

Everything was fine otherwise. Except till the end of school when she had to follow the schoolbus driver to the bus. She was the first to tailgate the busdriver, and she lost him when he made a left turn to walk towards the bus. She turned right instead. And it took a while before she realised she lost him. I called out to her. She turned back, saw me, and broke into tears,"Mummy, I am lost ... ..." I led her back to the bus driver and she took the bus home. She actually refused to be chauffered home by her eldest aunt, much to my pleasant surprise. She fell asleep on the bus and had to be woken up by some older children. hahaa ...

There were two mothers who tried making small talks with me after realising that I, instead of my elder sister, was the mother. Being a horrible conversationist, the talks didn't last long. :-p

No comments: