Friday 15 December 2006

My Handyman Ah Pa

I got a few pieces of wall tiles that are bad mismatches in my kitchen:
It happened after we realised that the original placement of the plugs was hazardous - it was right above the hob. William got an electrician to shift the plugs to where they are now, but both the electrician and William did not manage to get similar HDB wall tiles, and William was fine with the different-tone tiles, as well as the half-cut tiles as shown above.

One fine day, I called up HDB and after a few enquiries, I managed to buy 8 pieces of these light blue tiles from a particular contractor at $2 each. After half a year, my father volunteered (again) to do up the wall tiles for us - after relaminating our tv console.

He spent hours drilling and knocking out the tiles:
There was a little hiccup when he drilled the wall tiles to break them down. He drilled onto one of the wires and the whole house' was short-circuited, but it didn't pose a problem to my know-it-all father. He repaired the wire (don't ask me how. He just did it) and everything was back to normal.

The kids got a shock when their grandfather turned around. He got tonnes of debris stuck to his bare torso. By the time a small portion of the wall looked like the above, the whole kitchen looked like it was hit by a nasty tornado, except that things were still sitting upright on the kitchen top.

This is how the kitchen wall look like now:
It would have cost me at least a good $200 to have this if not for my personal handyman.

No comments: